Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

Urgent help Win 10, Missing Partitions.

This is a discussion on Urgent help Win 10, Missing Partitions. within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I'm hoping to get some advice. Bit of background: Win10 laptop, 1tb partitioned drive (100gb windows, 900gb data -

Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I'm hoping to get some advice.

Bit of background:
Win10 laptop, 1tb partitioned drive (100gb windows, 900gb data - about 500GB used)

Last week i noticed kernel errors that started exactly same time as creators privacy review was downloaded and I got it to "remind me later"

Sunday -
laptop a little quite slow 8-10min switch on to desktop.
After some searching and finding similar errors online I suspected creators privicy review.
Not finding it in notifications and odd errors in event log I decided to do a chkdsk just to see if any errors on disk.
Chkdsk found 1 and after reboot, speed back to normal and update in notifications bar.
Did review and shut down laptop.

Monday evening -
Switch on laptop.
Booted till screen just before win10 login (normally win logo and spinning dots) but just had black with spinning dots.
Left for 1/2 hour.
Started digging online and various reasons but only one stood out so I power cycled the laptop to get to repair.
Safe mode - wouldn't work, black screen.
Revert - nothing to revert to.
Sys restore - no points.
Repair startup - nothing wrong.
Gave up and decided to reinstall windows from usb know my data was on a separated partition.
Changed bios.
Reinstall process, chose windows partition, halfway through process win told me it couldn't proceed because of a damaged boot record.
Got into cmd.
Diskpart - recognized both partitions
Used bootrec to rebuild boot.
All completed fine.
Went to reinstall now only one 950gb partition.
Rebooted
laptop won't recognize drive in bios but will when I go to cmd from usb boot.
Diskpart - no partitions

Wednesday -
Hooked drive up via USB dock to a second machine, won't recognize in disk management.
IT department ran and old piece of dos software to try and get the drive readable (4 bad sectors, all at start of drive) .
Now readable in disk management but comes up as unallocated and I couldn't assign a drive letter.
Tried to run Recuva on it but the drive is not recognized by recurva (for above reasons)
So am trying Testdisk which I started a quick scan at 7pm last night and and 3pm today (Thursday) was at 40%

So question is this a normal speed considering the circumstances?
Is this because of the bad sectors?

I posted the above on the testdisk forum and received this reply:
Quote:
There are bad sectors, so you should to clone the disk to new empty one using ddrescue.
Read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf chapters "DDRescue: data recovery from damaged disk" and "Creating a live USB".
Once it's done, remove the original disk and try to recover your data from the clone.
i have asked to confirm the following information so that i know im doing the correct thing but it is taking an age to get an answer.
Quote:
Stop the current testdisk search.
Make a live usb
Replace the drive into laptop
Boot from the live usb
And use ddrescue to clone the drive (the empty drive having to be connected via usb)
Install the clone in the laptop.
Boot from usb key again.
Then use Testdisk on the clone.
The big problem is that i don't have a spare 1TB 2.5" drive kicking around, I have order a new 1TB drive for the laptop but am loathed to clone the damaged drive to it in case i screw another drive.

Does anyone have any other ideas or am i on the correct path?

Cheers
Powerlines2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Since the drive has Bad Sectors, and it is failing, then if you keep scanning with various tools, it will eventually stop booting. That is why it is suggested to make an Image of the drive, not a bit to bit Clone, the drive the image is stored on only needs to be as large as the Used space on the drive you are trying to recover from, not the whole 1TB.
DDRescue is a Linux utility. If you are uncomfortable with Linux, you can use this Windows Utility to create an Image file/ HDDGURU: HDD Raw Copy Tool You can also make an Image file with TestDisk and save the image to a separate drive. You then can scan the image, rather then the failing drive, to recover your files to another drive. Once the new 1TB drive comes in, you can replace the old HDD and install Windows, then restore your backup.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote