Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

UEFI Secure Boot Question

856 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am in charge of updating several of our Windows 7 machines in our environment to Windows 10, we have a security requirement for our network that all machines running Win10 must use UEFI, SecureBoot and Credential Guard.

I'm trying to determine if some of my older machines running Windows 7 are UEFI capable, I have a mix of HP, Dell machines. My server is 2008R2.

After googling it seems some hardware won't support, but I haven't found an easy way to determine which machines will or won't.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I am not using SCCM......

I think a big part of my confusion was if this is a BIOS update, why couldn't I just update the BIOS for the older machines assuming the manufacturer put out an update.

But after doing more reading it seems like some mobos don't have the hardware that could support even if the manufacture released an update.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but if my machine hardware supports UEFI those options should show in the BIOS regardless of what OS I have installed correct? Or do I need to actually upgrade my machine from 7 to determine if I have the UEFI support?

Thanks again

#5 ·
Most all new computers come with the UEFI Bios, with SecureBoot, but if they are older the, 4 or 5 years they will not have it.
The way to find out is to boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Security tab and look for SecureBoot, go to the Boot tab and look for UEFI Bios, if it is not there, then those motherboards do not have it. There is no Bios update that installs UEFI Bios.
If you want to do a clean install of Windows to a UEFI Bios, you have to Disable SecureBoot or change it to Setup Mode, and the change UEFI to Legacy Boot. Unless you use a UEFI Initialized Windows Boot media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.