Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

start up, automatic repair, & everything else fails

928 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
Hello.

Suddenly a few days ago I was playing my Xbox & noticed my laptop with Windows 10 (I upgraded it to Windows 10 online via their free upgrade from 8 thing) restart. I kinda thought it to be weird because I was pretty sure it just updated the day before, but I just figured it must be another one. When it finally got restarted & to the screen to enter my password, the graphics (the background pic) was flashing weird, kinda reminded me on maybe keys stuck. It wouldn't keep from flashing long enough to enter my password, ctrl alt delete did nothing, along with esc, & anything else I tried. I finally had to turn it off via power button. I waited a minute & restarted but got the blue screen saying windows couldn't start.

I have tried all the options, to no avail EXCEPT I do have Windows 7 on it too. I can boot into Windows 7 (I'm using it now) with no problem. Also from what I can tell when I'm in 7, looking at the drive with Windows 10 on it, it seems to definitely be there. In fact I can open up my files (on the 10 drive) as usual from the Windows 7.

A REALLY odd & scary thing is that one of the 1st choices I tried was to restore back. The 1st time I chose it, it gave me my restore points. I chose one, etc etc. It seemed to take forever and I think it said it was successful, however when it went to reboot it came back up & said the same bs as before... Now if I go to restore. it shows NO restore points!!!

Of course I have also tried the system repair option, but it failed too. Now usually when I restart it, it tries to Automatically Repair, but fails.

Tell me what to do next please. Thank you very much for your help & assistance.
:banghead:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there,

Try performing a "chkdsk /r" which stands for Check Disk Repair on the Windows 10 side and see if that helps.

Boot your computer to the Windows 10 side and boot to the system repair option. Choose troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt.

Then type in "chkdsk /r" and the computer will prompt you saying that the check disk repair will start after you reboot your computer. Reboot your computer, boot to the computer to Windows 10 and let the computer perform a check disk repair.

Hope everything works out well for you.

#3 · (Edited)
I tried what you said. However I forgot to mention above that now when you restart, it freezes on the windows sign in middle of screen (the one right after it shows the processors etc). The way that you get it ti go to the system repair options is you have to hit f2, then I exit without saving. When it restarts, it goes automatically to "preparing automatic repair" then "diagnosing your computer", then that is when it says your computer did not start correctly blah blah blah.Anyhow apparently due to the problem of going thru f2 etc, I'm guessing that's why checkdisk never runs. grrrrrrrrr

#4 ·
Hi, you appear to be able to access the RE (repair your computer) option, this is a virtual ram drive for diagnostic purposes it includes the command prompt. You cannot run chkdsk on the ram disk it is write protected and you do not want to either. You want to run chkdsk on your OS drive.

To do this we first need to know what drive the OS has been assigned in the RE (it can change from say c: drive for example)

So at the command prompt (will most likely read x:\windows\system32>) type exactly as shown :-

bcdedit | find "osdevice" (press enter), the | is called a pipe and can be found above the \ key, this will return :-

osdevice ... partition X: (where X is a drive letter) use this letter at the command prompt, type:- (we will assume D: (it usually is in 10)

D: (press enter) the prompt will change to D:>

At this type:-

chkdsk D: /r (press enter) 5 stages of chkdsk will run (takes a long time) after this restart computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.