Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Single Program Windows 10 Problem

SOLVED 
2K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  crrunion 
#1 ·
I called what I thought was an official Microsoft Windows tech support number and the first thing they wanted, before even looking at my computer was $100. Sounded like a scam to me.

I have a Bible Software Program on my computer and as soon as I try to look at a passage of Scripture, the program closes. This began today when our power flickered and I had to reboot the computer. I don't know why the battery backup didn't keep it from shutting down.

I've been on the phone with the Bible Software people and they can solve the problem. They tell me they have done everything they can do and that the problem has to be a Windows program. I have a file on my desktop that the Bible Software Tech said I should show to Windows.

I need help in knowing what to do. Is there an official Microsoft Windows 10 Tech number I can call? Is a $100 fee up front normal? I don't know how much more they are going to keep adding to the $100.

Thanks

crrunion

#3 ·
Hi, well you will get advice from here for free. Do you receive any error messages when you use the bible program ( could you also give us the name of the program)?

Have a look at event viewer for any error message that relate to this problem. Have you had any issues with this program in the past? Have you recently upgraded Ten to anniversary edition currently OS build 14393.321.

#4 ·
Hi Janae. Thanks for replying. The Bible software is Logos Bible Software. The error message is that Logos has stopped working and is collecting information. Then that Logos has stopped working and is shutting down. I don't know what "event viewer" is. The Logos tech said that some error file in Logos keeps saying the problem is Windows over and over again. I bought the computer about 4 or 5 months ago and I don't know if the newest version was already installed or if it has updated to that since I bought the computer. Is there a way that I can check that? If so, I will need step by step directions about finding it. I have never had problems with Logos before, but I have recently upgraded to the newest version. "Logos 7."

Thanks

crrunion

#5 ·
Hi, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" at the command prompt type:-

winver (press enter) please post here the version you see. Logos 7 shipped on Aug 22 and is supposed to be compatible with ten. Have you tried uninstall and reinstall the program?

Press the win + r key together, the run dialogue box will open, type:- eventvwr.msc press OK. Event viewer will open expand "windows Logs" look under application and system for any error messages, click the error message to get a details output, anything about Logus, post the details here.

#6 ·
Logos was working fine for several weeks until Wednesday afternoon when the power flickered. The Logos tech delected and installed Logos on my computer but that didn't help. He saved the following information in a folder on my desktop. I think it is the events viewer information that you are looking for. He saved it as EVlog.evtx. I hope it is what you are looking for. Sorry about being so long in replying. I was no feeling well yesterday.

Error 10/19/2016 5:17:37 PM .NET Runtime 1026 None

pplication: Logos.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.NativeMethods.LogosDisplayState_SetToTextPosition(Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.SafeLogosDisplayStateHandle, Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.SafeSinaiTextPositionHandle, System.String)
at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.Controls.LogosDisplayElement.SetToArticleAndOffset(Int32, Int32, Libronix.DigitalLibrary.ResourceDisplayNavigationSettings)
at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.Controls.LogosDisplayElement.SyncToModelPosition()
at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.Controls.LogosContentDisplayElement.RenderNative(System.Windows.Media.DrawingContext, System.Windows.Size)
at Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Resources.Logos.Controls.LogosContentDisplayElement.OnRender(System.Windows.Media.DrawingContext)
at System.Windows.UIElement.Arrange(System.Windows.Rect)
at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ArrangeCore(System.Windows.Rect)
at MS.Internal.Helper.ArrangeElementWithSingleChild(System.Windows.UIElement, System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.Border.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.Control.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at MS.Internal.Helper.ArrangeElementWithSingleChild(System.Windows.UIElement, System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.DockPanel.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.UniformGrid.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.ItemsPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.Controls.Decorator.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at Libronix.Utility.Windows.Controls.TiledFrameTabControl.Libronix.Utility.ViewModels.ITiledFrameTabControl.Arrange(System.Windows.Rect)
at Libronix.Utility.ViewModels.TiledFrameGridImpl.Arrange(System.Windows.Size)
at Libronix.Utility.Windows.Controls.TiledFrameGrid.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size)
at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
at Libronix.Utility.Windows.DependencyPropertyUtility+<>c__DisplayClass31_0`2[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].<GeneratePropertyChangedCallback>b__0(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(System.Windows.EntryIndex, System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry ByRef, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType, Boolean)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValue(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object)
at Libronix.Utility.ViewModels.TiledFrameImpl.LayoutChanged()
at Libronix.Utility.ViewModels.TiledFrameImpl.set_Layout(Libronix.Utility.ViewModels.TiledFrameLayout)
at Libronix.Utility.Windows.DependencyPropertyUtility+<>c__DisplayClass31_0`2[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].<GeneratePropertyChangedCallback>b__0(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(System.Windows.EntryIndex, System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry ByRef, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType, Boolean)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValue(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object)
at LDLS4.MainWindow.AppModel_LayoutChanging(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
at Libronix.Utility.EventHandlerUtility.Raise(System.EventHandler, System.Object)
at LDLS4.AppModel.ProcessAppliedLayoutSnapshot(LDLS4.Layouts.LayoutSnapshot)
at LDLS4.AppModel.PanelSource_LayoutManipulated(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
at Libronix.Utility.EventHandlerUtility.Raise(System.EventHandler, System.Object)
at Libronix.Utility.ViewModels.TiledFramePanelSource.<StartLayoutTransaction>b__13_0()
at Libronix.Utility.Scope.Dispose()
at LDLS4.AppModel.DoApplyLayoutSnapshot(LDLS4.Layouts.LayoutSnapshot)
at LDLS4.Layouts.LayoutTemplateBase+<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<CloseHomePageAndApplySnapshot>b__0()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherTimer.FireTick(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at LDLS4.OurApp.InitializeAndRun(System.Collections.ObjectModel.ReadOnlyCollection`1<System.String>, Libronix.Utility.Threading.SingleInstanceManager)
at LDLS4.OurApp.Main(System.String[])

#9 ·
Hi, open a cmd prompt as per post #5, at the prompt type:-

chkdsk/r (press enter) You will be told the volume is in use and do you want to run chkdsk at the next boot Y/N (or similar). type Y and press enter, restart computer, chkdsk will run through 5 stages and can take a long time(hr's). When finished open a cmd prompt (post #5) and this time type:- sfc/scannow (press enter) let us know how you get on.

#11 ·
Hi, download the free version of revo uninstaller, open it and select the Logos program, select uninstall, when revo opens select the "advanced" option, allow the uninstaller to run (programs) then follow the revo prompts, delete from registry all entries found and from explorer all entries found (select all , delete). Restart computer reinstall logos.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems (scroll down to you see the free version)

#12 ·
I did something wrong, but I don't know what. I downloaded the revo uninstaller and there is a icon for it on my desk top. I thought i uninstalled Logos and it was removed from the revo program list. But the icon for logos is still on the desk top and along the bottom of the computer screen. "Command bar?" When I clicked on it, Logos opened, but it still doesn't work properly. Where did I go wrong? And what do I need to do now? When I do finally uninstall it, how do I reload Logos? Do I need to contact Logos and have them send me a link? It isn't saved on Revo is it?

#13 ·
Wait a minute! I found the email with the link that I used to download Logos 7 onto my computer originally. So I ran the download again and Logos once more shows up in my Revo program list. But before I do anything else, do I need to go back and repeat all the steps from Post #9 forward? chkdsk/r and following? Do you have any idea what I did wrong with Revo the first time when it removed Logos from the Revo program list but didn't remove it from my computer?

#14 ·
Hi, no need to run sfc or chkdsk again, lets concentrate on Logos. When you use revo and highlight an installed program then select the uninstall option revo opens and ask's what level do you want the uninstall , here select "advanced". Now Logos developers will have included their own uninstaller , revo lets this run (and so should you) then it takes over and allows you to remove traces of the program left behind.

This gives us a better chance of a fresh clean install of the program and hopefully fixing the problem.

#15 ·
Beware that alot of the sites that say microsoft support are not really connected to microsoft and are scams to take your money. They will convince you to buy some program that you will have to pay for every year.

#16 ·
Thanks, dollhobbs. I suspected a scam. I got rooked into the same kind of deal a few years ago with a virus protection program and ended up paying through the nose. When this guy was telling me that I had a "Critical Issue" without even looking at my computer, it just sounded phony to me.

#17 ·
Hi, what do suspect is a scam? You say you spoke to a logos tech and they attempted to assist you, reinstall would have been my first option so they appeared to do the right thing. Revo uninstaller has long been used by tech's to fix uninstall issues, it is recommended by this forum.

#18 ·
Jenae. You're the best! Logos Bible Software is a huge program with LOTS of resources, but it takes a while to download all those resources. However, the second time with Revo, I realized what I did wrong the first time and got a good Uninstall. It wiped out EVERYTHING. So I downloaded the basic program and then it started downloading resources which took several hours. But at any rate, I have got to the passage in question as well as other passage of Scripture and each opened without any problem I have scrolled around some and everything is tracking just like it's supposed to without any problems. As far as I can tell, everything is working just like it's supposed to. Thank you so much! for your help. Thanks for being patient with an old guy who only knows how to turn the computer on and how to use the programs I know about. But I know NOTHING about what makes it work. Thanks for helping me solve a problem that was WAY beyond me.

crrunion

#19 ·
No Jenae Not the Logos tech and certainly not you. I'm talking about what I described in the first post when I said that I thought I was calling a Microsoft Windows tech and before he did anything, he said I had a "critical issue" and it would cost $100 to fix it. I was afraid to get started with him because I was afraid he was going to keep on raising the price. I seriously doubted that he was really a Microsoft tech, although his website suggested that he was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.