Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

registry applications

669 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LMiller7 
#1 ·
what does this forum think of registry checkers e.g. registry mechanic etc.:grin:

#3 ·
Tony, I believe you've seen our opinion on these computer killers in the past. Let me help you this way. When a "Cleaner" lists what it found, are you positive every deletion/change is safe?

#4 ·
Hi, built into the OS are all the utils you need to keep your computer running at it's optimal level. MS who make the OS would include a registry cleaner if it was possible to fix problems and improve performance through their use, the fact that they do not should tell you something.

Actually it's the opposite they positively warn against them:-Microsoft’s official position on the use of Registry Cleaners

Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners
Microsoft is not responsible for issues caused by using a registry cleaning utility.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the use of a registry cleaning utility can be solved.

The biggest threat to a modern computer lies between the keyboard and the chair. If you are having a problem it is far better to post here, that way you get a solution and you help others who also get the solution.

#5 ·
There was a time when Microsoft had a registry cleaner available for download. I believe it was designed for the special needs of developers who would presumably be aware of the potential problems. The download was later removed - because it caused problems with a number of popular Microsoft applications. It is still available from some download sites and people are using it believing it is safe.

In principle there really is nothing wrong with cleaning the registry, if it could be done safely. But it can't. The problem is that there is usually no way a cleaner can know for certain that a specific registry entry is unused or in error. As a result it must make many guesses. Usually it guesses right, but sometimes not. Then you have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.