Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC to 4K tv

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  rodb 
#1 ·
What is minimum pc for streaming to new 4k tv? Which is most important, the processor or video card? I already have several desktops but none with hdmi output. To add a new graphics card to my current systems would also require larger power supply. I'm thinking probably better to just buy new pc.

#2 ·
Hi rodb

Here's a link to what seems to be a decent article full of details about the variety of choices. A common denominator seems to be that using the Display Port is considered the best choice for connecting the display & PC. Gaming on a 4k display of course requires a reasonably powerful graphics card. For movies, recent integrated graphics should do.
How to connect a 4K screen to a PC - How-To - PC Advisor

A neighbor of mine bought a curved high def screen, but returned it in favor of a non-curved model .... Lots of choices as more and more screen come on the market ..

Enjoy your latest marvel of technology :)

#3 ·
Thanks, good article but only have hdmi on my av receiver and tv. Have extra desktop Compaq Presario AMD X2 dual core, 3gb ddr3 ram with Windows 7. Would this pc give good results if I add a graphics card with hdmi ? If so what would be the minimum ?

#4 ·
Can you post the make/model of your new screen? For HDMI to have a chance, it would need to be at least HDMI version 2.0. (...earlier versions are going to produce fuzziness -- not what you buy a 4k screen for). The output would have to be at least HDMI 2.0 from the video card, too.

I'm hoping that maybe your screen has a Display Port somewhere, but it might be hard to see/find. (The mini-Display Port is pretty darn small). The advantage for a Display Port setup is that it would "just work". My latest search engine's results for "4k display" didn't yield a single screen that didn't include a Display Port connection of some kind.

Since the 4k screens are so new, you'll likely have to upgrade other components to get the most out of the setup (receivers, DVRs, computers).

But - if it turns out you truly don't have any option other than the HDMI port (certainly should be a version 2, since it's a 4k screen) ... there are inexpensive cards that might go OK (at least until your next round of upgrades) starting as low at $40 ... If you have a PCI Express versions 2 slot available in one of your desktops, something like a GT 710 might do (and doesn't require much extra power - good quality 300 wt. supply might be OK)... Here's an example over at NewEgg: EVGA GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 01G-P3-2711-KR 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Low Profile Video Card - Newegg.com

Heck, you could try it, or something like it, and return it if it doesn't work. You'd have to test quickly, though, since many computer gadgets have to be returned within 15 days to have the less-fuss return happiness going on.

Let us know if you have more questions

[P.S. ... most of the X2 Presarios had onboard Nvidia graphics (SE6150s and such), so you stand a decent chance of having an open slot to put the GT 710 in.... I can't remember what PCIe version the motherboards had - that info you could get from your manual, or try Piriform's "Speccy" app to scan for info on your hardware...]

#8 ·
Hi again

I double-checked the specs for your Yamaha receiver and Sony screen - they are both advanced HDMI 2.0 (or newer). So they'll be fine. You'll just need a decent card with the HDMI 2.0 output that's 4k capable. The GT 710 that I linked to earlier might do it, it is probably the least expensive & less power hungry card that might go in one of your desktops. You'll have to check the PCI Express version of your desktop to make sure it matches that of whatever card you choose. I find newegg.com (remember EggHead software stores?) a decent place to look for choices. The site is easy to navigate & to search, and there's lots of buyer-feedback. Once you find the card that works best for your desktops/receiver/screen - then you can search to see what reputable vendor has it for the best price or is the most convenient for you. In any decent site, you should be able to specify the PCI Express version of your desktop and to specify "4k capable" -- that should yield a good list of the available cards.

Cheers

#10 ·
I took one more look (just to be sure) at the specs for the average Presarios with the X2 cpus ... and it might be that they are just a teeny bit too old for the best-match graphics cards for your new screen.

The $40 Nvidia card that I linked to earlier is the only PCIe 2.0 card that I've seen that can do 4k ... so I check on the Nvidia site, and they don't have it on their recommended list of 4k capable cards. Most of the cards pushing 4k output are PCI Express version 3.0 or newer. That older 2.0 card also does not have full HDMI 2.0 going on -- it's only a version 1.4 HDMI.

Many of the Presarios with X2s came out around 2009. PCI Express 3.0 didn't arrive on store shelves until November 2010. So - for the best compatibility and performance for your screen, it looks like a motherboard with PCIe 3.0 is going to be desired, and those will likely be from 2011 onward. If you've got a board with PCIe 3.0 or newer, you can add a 4k capable PCIe 3.0 card for around $110 - look in the specs to make sure the HDMI output is version 2.0 (or newer).

If there's nothing in your documentation for the exact PCI Express version in your desktops, a quick call to the vendor, or an email to their support techs, can yield a reasonably quick answer.

Unfortunately, the power requirements of the PCI Express 3.0 cards tend to be higher, especially the Radeons. The least expensive Radeon R6 460 cards with PCI Express 3.0 and HDMI 2.0b need a good 450 wt. power supply (as recommended by the card manufacturers).

So, in short --- you probably will not want the $40 Nvidia card with PCIe 2.0 and HDMI 1.4 --- you'll want something newer, with PCIe 3.0 and HDMI 2.0 or newer. The card will probably need a good 450 wt. supply or better, and of course, 4k capability via the HDMI 2.0 or 2.0b port. The price will likely start about $120.

If you don't have a workable desktop in the house, if you're lucky maybe a family member or friend might have a leftover from an upgrade .... in a closet, attic, or garage!

Enjoy that new screen when it's all set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.