Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft unveils tighter security plans for Windows 10

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JMH3143 
#1 ·
MICROSOFT HAS UNVEILED a host of security features in its upcoming Windows 10 operating system in a bid to lure enterprise users into upgrading when it's released.

One of the major updates is to two-factor authentication, which Redmond says will provide more robust security than traditional single passwords that make more recent iterations of Windows vulnerable to data theft.

Microsoft seems to think that enhanced security should be a key focus for the new OS, as such issues are "central to many of the customer conversations" the firm has had since announcing the availability of the Windows 10 Technical Preview
Microsoft unveils tighter security plans for Windows 10- The Inquirer

#5 ·
Windows 10: Security and Identity Protection for the Modern World

There’s been so much excitement and energy around the Windows 10 Technical Preview – including incredible momentum around the Windows Insider Program, where we recently hit 1 million total registrants, and over 200,000 pieces of user-initiated feedback. Thank you for signing-up for the program and providing us with your feedback! We want Windows 10 to be a reflection of what you need for your business, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to see that happening. In my last blog post, I mentioned that I’d follow-up in a few key areas. Today, I’d like to focus on security in Windows 10 which has been central to many of the customer conversations I’ve had since we announced the availability of the Technical Preview. With good reason, security and information protection is top of mind for many businesses.
Windows 10: Security and Identity Protection for the Modern World

#6 ·
Windows 10 Looks to Eliminate Passwords

The Windows 10 Technical Review is underway, and Microsoft says that multifactor authentication will be one the new system’s security hallmarks.

Windows 10 will incorporate a multi-factor authentication solution built into the operating system and device itself, which eliminates the need for additional hardware security peripherals. Once enrolled, devices themselves become one of two factors that are required for authentication. The second factor will be a PIN or biometric, such as fingerprint.

“With Windows 10 we’re actively addressing modern security threats with advancements to strengthen identity protection and access control, information protection and threat resistance,” said Jim Alkove, leader of the Windows enterprise program management team, in a blog. “With this release, we will have nearly everything in place to move the world away from the use of single-factor authentication options, like passwords.”

From a security standpoint, the scheme means that an attacker would need to have a user’s physical device, in addition to the user’s PIN or biometric information.
Windows 10 Looks to Eliminate Passwords - Infosecurity Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.