Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Low Space on C Drive

SOLVED 
832 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pcride 
#1 ·
I know this probably seems like a pretty dumb question but I've been really confused about my disk space on my main C drive. it's a 228gb SSD and when I select all the files within my C drive (including hidden files) the size says 138GB. However in the "This PC" tab it's showing I'm using 212GB on the drive. My recycling bin is clear and there aren't any backups made so who has stolen my 74GB? :angry:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, you need to uncheck "hide protected system files (recommended)"

press the win +x keys together select command prompt(admin) copy paste at the prompt:-

wmic logicaldisk get Name, Compressed, Description, DriveType, FileSystem, FreeSpace, SupportsDiskQuotas, VolumeDirty, VolumeName /Format:list > 0 & notepad 0

Press enter.. you can post the notepad output here if you like.

#3 · (Edited)
Compressed=FALSE
Description=Local Fixed Disk
DriveType=3
FileSystem=NTFS
FreeSpace=22378577920
Name=C:
SupportsDiskQuotas=TRUE
VolumeDirty=FALSE
VolumeName=OS_Install

I've made sure it displays the hidden files as well, it seems that the space used is correct but I have no idea what on as my Users, program files and program files(x86) folders only add up to 85GB.

Also as a side note my recovery is turned off as this seems to be a common cause for stuff like this.

#5 ·
Use spaceSniffer to seek all the areas on your machine taking up the space. For example if you run %temp% you will probably see a few gigs of temp files you can delete, other areas are hibernate.sys file, which is 4-6 GIGs, need to delete it in Safe mode. There are a bunch of cache folders you can delete as well.

If you back up your iphone/ipad, those can get large as well, each time you back up it makes a copy, those are normally 1 GIG each with moderate text messaging.

Use space sniffer! the best program out there for recovering space on your HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.