Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for a graphics card

793 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm working with an HP Elite 8000 SFF, running on Win 10. I'm looking for a half-height video card, preferably a silent one that actually runs on win 10.
Can someone give me some advice? I'm not a gamer, so I don't need a gaming card.
Thanks,
Ed

#3 ·
There are a few things to be aware of.

GDDR5 is way faster than GDDR3, the memory bandwidth is 40GB/sec compared to 14.4GB/sec.

If you're on Windows 32-bit, you could end up losing twice as much available System memory by going for a 2GB card, compared to a 1GB card.

A relatively recent, average CPU with inbuilt graphics, like the Intel HD4000, might be better at 2D graphics than a GT 720 anyway.

I'd advise looking for a better GT730 or 740 GDDR5 if you want to improve your 2D graphics. (And put up with a possible increase in fan noise when it's working hard.)

Newegg's current availability examples.

#5 ·
Unless your CPU has a higher than 65~85Watt TDP, you should be fine but some of the 740's might require a 6-pin PSU connector, they're borderline at 64W TDP for PCIe powered only, the 730's are around 25W, fine even for the crippled PCIe powered slots on some Dells, maybe some other OEMs as well (they might only support ~25W, the available 'board power being limited to reduce costs).

So, what's your exact model Elite or your CPU model#?

#7 ·
Okay, the e8400 is a 65W CPU, if it isn't overclocked ie, max. speed is 3GHz, my gut feeling is that it would be fine with either a 730 or 740. But, I've no clue whether the 'board power for PCIe is the standard 65/75W or if it's crippled to ~25W (though I don't recall ever reading about HP doing this).

You'll be safe with a 730 DDR5, if you're tempted to go for the 740, see what you can find out from other Elite 8000 SFF upgraders on the HP forums first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.