Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to disable run via search on Windows 10?

796 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  curwin 
#1 ·
We are trying to prevent our users from running various commands that we don't specifically approve. We have implemented Applocker, but that doesn't prevent the user from running commands beginning with rundll32.exe or regsrv32.exe. In previous versions of Windows the group policy setting "Remove Run menu from Start Menu" was sufficient. But in Windows 10, when a user starts typing any command in search, even with that GP setting enforced, the command runs.

Is there any way to prevent this? It is a significant security issue, and I am surprised that Windows 10, which is generally more secure, in this issue is actually less so.

If not, is there at least a way I can prevent access to the search field? I've already found it on the task bar (even if I set it to "hidden", the user can switch it back to "show search icon" or "show search box"), in the alphabetical list of programs (under "Search") and via the Windows+S and Windows+Q hotkeys.

I tried renaming the folder C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

That did disable the search function entirely, but it went too far for our needs. It would prevent the users from running their programs from the Start Menu. For example, they couldn't just start typing "Word" and have Microsoft Word open.

Any ideas will be welcome.

Thanks!

David

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.