Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much of WIn 10 can I remove?

2K views 38 replies 6 participants last post by  win98forever 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a new computer on the way with Win10 Home 64Bit
I'd like to know what exactly I can remove from the preloaded system.
I'd like it to be as light as possible. I need email, a browser, a word processor and a photo program. I'll be using Firefox and Windows mail since all my old mail is in windows format.
Edit- I'll be using MSE or whatever MS has developed for win 10 for security as well.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Download PC Decrapifier This will scan and list all bloatware that a computer manufacturer loads on an OEM computer. You can choose to remove it all or pick and choose which programs you want.
As for Windows, since many of the programs are integrated into Windows, removing programs that are part of the Windows OS could cripple the OS to not load or work a all. It's best to leave it alone.

#5 ·
Hi, reason Rich asked "what brand", is because manufacturers will install a lot of their own utils, many you don't need we call this "bloat ware".

Not sure what Kendallt means by disable or remove nearly everything... you need to be aware some apps are integrated and should not be touched.

My advice is to use the computer for awhile get used to it, then anything you don't like ask about removing. We have tested win 10 with a stripped out version against a fully optioned one, hard to quantify any real benefit performance wise, one to the other.

If you don't use some apps leaving them will do no harm, control what you allow at startup, 10 is far more efficient then old 7. You might like to install Classic Shell for a more traditional look. Do not remove anything before checking.. this applies to PC decrapifier, it uses the developers uninstall string and this can (and does) leave behind elements of the uninstalled program (very important in regards to AV and optimizers).

#6 ·
Hello,
Sorry I didn't get back sooner.
Otay.
I want to remove the bloatware and any other stuff I won't be using.
I want to do that before I make the recovery discs so that I don't have to do it when I migrate to a new drive.

The new machine comes with a HDD which I would like to eventually replace with an SSD.
I was hoping to use the HDD in another machine with the win 10 on it, and it is a different brand.
Is that possible? Or will I have to pay for a new OS?

#10 ·
Will need to obtain a new OS, not legal to run the same license on two computers at the same time.

As for what you can get rid of, Cortana, Store, Xbox, Onedrive and many others can be taken out without any seriously adverse effects to the OS itself.
You need to install a different shell (something like classic shell) to replace the start menu when you get rid of cortana.
And disabling some of the services that want to start the garbage is impossible if you're not comfortable in the registry.
Screen shots to show what 'mandatory' 'break system if removed' apps are NOT installed or even present on my hard drive, these are from a VM, because I'm in linux and have things running in the background I don't want to stop to reboot. They're both hidden directories where the apps are stored.

Attachments

#11 ·
OK Thank You, I haven't let it online yet.
I have gone through it and shut off all the stuff that wants to connect to everything. I pretty much just denied everything the right to make contact without my express action. I did this from the settings tab, if there are other items that will be trying to make connections please tell me so I can turn them off.
I'm going to have to mull what you said over. Do some reading and I'll re post more questions. I fear I may need stepped instruction on doing the removals.

#12 · (Edited)
just for comparison, here are some more screens those starting with 'df' are fresh install nothing removed.
Included benchmarks, but I don't mess with them for speed, just hate extra things running that I don't need or want.

Edit, actually missed catching Skype in either of those screen shots of the 'windows apps'

Attachments

#13 ·
When I open mail in win ten and choose add account what is the next choice I should make?
I currently use WinMail and will be transferring those emails to this client. My instinct is to choose other since it has POP.
Will this email client accept the emails from my previous winmail client? I want to continue saving my emails on the server and I don't want to have to download and edit 7 years of email spam and crap.

#16 ·
WinMail is now called Outlook.com and can be accessed from that web page. If your WinMail is associated with a Microsoft account (ie) Hotmail, Live Mail, etc and you have logged into Windows with your Microsoft account, Mail will automatically be configured for that Email address.

#17 · (Edited)
I followed what you just posted but it is not addressing my questions.
I am using WInMail on my Vista system. That is my reference.
Is it compatible with the email system on the Win10 OS?
Anyway I posted a question in the email forum explaining what I want to do. I will come back here once I have email set up and feel safe to go online with the new system.

Thank You

Man the Lenovo drags way slow compared to this L305! Its a i5 7200CPU with a 1T 5400 hdd There must be tons of bloatware on it.
What is the NOVO button?

#19 ·
The NOVO button is one button Recovery. If you can't boot into Windows for one reason or another, press the NOVO button instead of the power button to start the computer, it will start the Recovery Process.
Right click This PC and choose Properties. How much RAM do you have installed on the Lenovo? Is this 32bit or 64bit Windows OS? If you have 64bit Windows installed and less the 4GB of RAM, it will run very slow.

#20 ·
OK mine looks like it takes a paperclip or pin to access it.
Its the 64bit with the 4g Ram. I ordered an 8G RAM when I purchased it but no sign of it yet. Checked today and it turns out New Egg was letting someone else use their site and I have no idea whats going on. I got an email on Wednesday saying the transaction was approved and nothing since. You ever hear of "hotdeals4less"? It's supposed to be a new Crucial chip. I chose them (I thought NewEgg) to save about $4 from the Crucial site price.

#23 · (Edited)
OK I have the outlook 2016 manually set up. I haven't yet been able to import the inbox or contacts etc to it. I posted the fix and asked how to do the import in the email thread.

Now back to the topic I started "what can I removed from this system?"
There is so much distracting crap and bad design going on here I'm having conniption fits. :)
I like the feel of the key board. The front of the laptop is deceiving I had to build a higher curb on my tilted desk as the laptop slipped right over the stock stop on it because for some reason they sloped the bottom front of the thing !? Could have been a real disaster!

#24 ·
Hi, now you have the new machine we can have a look at it. Three cmds are attached, they may look a little daunting, however all you have to do is copy and paste so it's really easy.

Press the win + x keys together, select command prompt (Admin) from the options. An elevated cmd prompt will open, copy each of the cmds below (I put them in red for you, does not need to be copied in red) then anywhere in the cmd window right click and select paste.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, the output will open in a notepad, please attach this to your next post.

Next , still at the prompt, copy and paste:-

echo > 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, the output will open in a notepad, please attach this to your next post.

Next, double click on the atttached .Zip file, it will produce a Programs.vbs file, right click on this file and select open, a small window will open, ignore what is written there and click on OK. When finished a report window will open it will ask "Do you want to review the results now" press yes and a list of your installed programs will open in notepad, please attach this in your next post.

View attachment Programs.zip

This will give us the information we require.

#25 ·
I am still not online with the Lenovo.
Turns out I did not want to set up Outlook 2016 for email. I did not know or forgot that it was part of office. So now I am still stuck. I have a thread asking about this in the emails forum.
Current situation is and these questions are posted in the relevant forum;
1. How to manually set up the (or an) email client on Win 10 system (Thunderbird?)
2. How to import the emails from Windows Mail on my Vista machine?
3. How to fully disable Outlook2016? posted in MS Office forum.

It may seem odd to some but to me it is extraordinarily intrusive that MS insists on taking control of my machine before I can even set it to my liking.

#26 ·
I am still not online with the Lenovo.
Can you explain this? do you mean you do not have an internet connection with the Lenovo?
3. If you do not want to use Microsoft Office, then go to Start/Search and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In the Program and Features Uninstall Microsoft Office. If you want to keep Office but not use Outlook, then do that, there is no need to Disable it. If you are online and logged in with a Microsoft Account/Email, the Windows 10 App will automatically be activated. If you don't want to use it, in Mail go to Accounts and Delete your account.
1. If you want to use the Mail app, start it and configure it with your Email address and Password. If wanting to use Mozilla's Thunderbird, download it and type in your Email address and password.
2. As for importing mail Try this https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/24354-windows-10-mail-app-import-windows-live-mail.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.