Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Have Win10 Want To Revert Back To 8.1

SOLVED 
3K views 50 replies 7 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
I looked in the search engine to see if this topic had been covered but didn't find anything. And, to be honest, I don't know if I should be here in the Win10section or the 8.1 area.

Anyway, I upgraded to Win10 some time ago and there's just too many problems with it, so I want to go back to 8.1 How do I do that, please and thank you?

You'll find all the info about my PCs to the left at My System.....

#2 ·
Hi sweetrosette

If it has been less than 30 days since you first upgraded to Windows 10, you can go back with just a few clicks: Start > Settings > Updates and security > Recovery > Go Back to Windows 8.1

If it has been more than 30 days, you can go back to Windows 8.1 by use of: 1) a saved system image backup that you made before upgrading to Windows 10, 2) using recovery images from your computer's manufacturer [recovery DVDs, or an image on a partition - if the partition wasn't changed during the Windows 10 update], or 3) clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 from installation media (either from your computer manufacturer, or directly from Microsoft).

The 30-day "Go Back to Windows 8.1" is the fastest and easiest method, if it is available to you. It retains your personal files and programs.

Most manufacturer-supplied recovery options (via DVDs or system image on a partition) will require you to backup all your personal data, and you'll need to re-install any programs you added after the purchase of the computer.

For the manufacturer-supplied methods, you'll need to research the instructions and options for your model on their support website.

Should you need to clean install Windows 8.1 and you have no installation media: you can download it directly from Microsoft. Be sure to have your Windows 8.1 product-key handy - you'll need it. Here's the link to directly download Windows 8.1 from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

And ... should Windows 10 prove to be a more attractive (and stable) option at some point in the future - because you have already upgraded to Windows 10 on your current hardware, that hardware retains "digital entitlement" to run Windows 10 (you can upgrade to Windows 10 in the future at no extra cost ... your "digital entitlement" is stored on the Microsoft Activation servers indefinitely - rather like the old product keys).

Cheers

#3 ·
....omg.......I'm dead in the water with no inexpensive options to go to......:sad:.....

Ok. Upgraded to Win10 right around New Year's, so that 30 days option is out.

Don't have recovery DVDs because brother didn't keep them and I don't have a clue what "system image in a partition" means.

Don't have a key.....my brother bought this laptop around 4 years ago and gave it to me last summer. He has a very simple filing system....throws everything away.

So, I guess I'll have to buy the 8.1 OS. I

I just can't stay with Win10 any longer.....there's too much wrong with it. I've been in this Forum so many times with so many problems since I installed it the tech agents don't have any more answers to the problems I'm having and aren't able to offer any solutions.

Plus, this Win10 Anniversary update is coming soon, and I've read many, many posts from people who have downloaded the update and had their computers made completely unusable, with Microsoft not able to offer any kind of fix for it.

In any event, I'll have to see what I can do to get another OS for both my laptop and my desktop. I'll go to the Microsoft website to see what it costs to put 8.1 on both my PCs. Or maybe look into Linux. All I know is I can't keep operating online like this.

OK, thank you for your time, OldGrayGary. I do appreciate it. You tech agents are the best and lots of us are grateful for your expertise.

#4 ·
Hi again

Don't worry if you haven't heard of a lot of your recovery options before. You still have several ways to either get Windows 10 working, or go back to Windows 8.1, ...or (depending on your software needs) trying a free operating system alternative like Linux Mint.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update
Yes, it has caused trouble for some machines ... but for some others, it has cleared up issues that our visitors here on the forums had been fighting for quite a while. Since it is free --- (and fairly nice when it works like it should) --- try the "hair of the dog that bit you" approach, and give it a try. Since it basically replaces a high percentage of your system files, it has a decent chance of working well. (It could almost be called Windows 10.1).

If you computer originally came with Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, it should have an excellent chance of doing well in Windows 10. Heck, one of my Windows 10 testers is an old Vista laptop (like yours: it was a hand-me-down ... it was my wife's, then my daughters, and then mine... I don't require much from a computer: so they get the newer models!)...

I would recommend that you try at least twice to get the Anniversary Update installed & working well. The first try would be to give it a go as an update. If that doesn't work well, you could try it again, this time as a "clean install of Windows". You'd save your personal files (docs, pics, videos, music, etc.) beforehand, install Windows 10 Anniversary Update edition, using the options to not save your former Windows 10 installation. Once the basic system proves to be working well, you can restore you personal files from backups (usually just copy and paste), and then reinstall any programs that you previously added to Windows 8.1.

Get Anniversary Update as an update immediately
To force the update to happen right away:
1) Click on the Windows 10 Start Menu icon
2) Select Settings
3) Select Updates and security
4) In the Windows Update tab (the top tab in the list), install any updates if there are any waiting to install. I'm guessing the Anniversary Update hasn't been offered to your system yet. When done with any updates waiting to install, and Windows Update reports that "your system is up to date" ... but the Anniversary Update hasn't arrived yet - to to step 5. By the way, the Anniversary Update shows as "Feature Update to Windows 10, build 1607".
5) If the Anniversary Update has not been installed yet, but your system says "up to date" ... you can click on the blue highlighted "Learn More" item beneath "Looking for info on the latest updates?"
6) Clicking on "Learn More" will take you to a Microsoft webpage where you can download a little installer file that can start the Anniversary Update for you. You download it to your Download folder, navigate to it, double-click on it, and the installer will begin to download & then install the Anniversary Update.

If you'd like to see those steps, complete with screen shots of each one, visit the following Windows 10 blog page:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

And ... as I mentioned before: you can always download and install Windows 10 on your laptop at any time: because you already have "digital entitlement" to Windows 10 on that laptop.

Might as well try the update. For you, it's free, and has the highest "upside".

Going back to Windows 8.1 - using a product key.
Even if your brother didn't keep the paperwork for your laptop, the product key might still be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. If so, no worries, you can visit that link in my previous post, and download Windows 8.1. It would be an "iso" file - you can then, from a working Windows 10 computer (any Windows 10 computer with a DVD drive will do), put a blank DVD in the DVD drive, then right-click the "iso" file and select "burn image".... The Windows 8.1 "iso" will be burned onto the DVD. You can use that to "clean install" Windows 8.1. Remember to save your personal files beforehand!

Going back to Windows 8.1 - using a system image
If your brother made a "system image" backup before he gave the computer to you, you can use that to return to Windows 8.1. It will erase everything currently on the hard drive, so you'd have to backup your personal files beforehand.

Manufacturer's built-in Recovery
Some manufacturer-supplied "system image backups" (which used to be small enough to fit on DVDs, and were called "Recovery Disks") survive the upgrade to Windows 10, and can still be used to reinstall Windows 8.1. The problem is that even when this is the case ... it usually erases everything currently on the hard drive in the process. [The computer looks just like it did when it first came home from the store]. Look for the make/model of your laptop (usually printed on the bottom) and visit the support website for your make/model, and have a look at the user guide for it. It should have all the details you need to know to try a "Factory Restore" (yet another name for the very first "system image backup" for your computer!).........

Linux MInt 18
If your computing needs are simple, and you don't necessarily need Windows to run what you need to run, you could give a free open-source operating system a try. I use, and have helped many of my computer customers to use, a free version of Linux. Currently, I usually install Linux Mint 18 for those who want it, as it is easy for folks familiar with Windows to use (many of whom are switching from Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 8). Older versions of Microsoft Office can sometimes still work in Linux - using a feature called "Wine" to install Windows programs. This part is not-so-simple, but there are guides available that can help with that. Microsoft's Office Online is likely a much easier solution, if your Office needs aren't complicated: the Office Online programs can do basic documents, spreadsheets, and presentations .. just not with as many fancy options as the full versions .... and they have ads off to the side while you are working with the Office Online programs. Office Online is free, and it works fine in Linux, which is free: a nice combo.

So, let your pocketbook forgo any "panic attacks" ... you have quite a few free-of-charge chances to get a good, modern, up-to-date operating system on your laptop.

Let us know if you have questions.

[.... and, just in case: if no one has had you run diagnostics on your laptop, it would be a good idea to run some -- especially if you have some available when you first turn your computer on (look for a message such as "Press F12 for Boot Menu" or such). Many systems have full diagnostics available simply by choosing "Diagnostics" from a Boot Menu ... the key/keys to press will be mentioned in the User Guide for your make/model ... Running the diagnostics will make sure that you don't lose time trying to update your software programs on faulty hardware.... You'll want to make sure the hardware is OK first!]

Good luck!

#5 ·
Only had a minute to skim your reply, OldGrayGary, but what I'd like to mention is I really don't want to install this Anniversary update.

I've read, and more than once from reputable sources, is this Anniversary update permanently freezes people's PCs to the point where it no longer works. And Microsoft is saying they have no fix for the freeze.

So, at this moment in time with the right to change my answer later after I've read your answer more in depth, I really don't want to install this Anniversary update and take a chance that my PCs will freeze up.

I'm dependent on my PCs for many mundane things in life and not having one would make living highly complicated. PCs now days are like cars.......you CAN live without one, but it makes it becomes really complicated to do so.....lol....:)...

#6 ·
Hi again

Just a quick note: should your computer behave so badly that it stops working well in Windows (regardless of the version) - and you've run diagnostics that show no physical part failures - you can boot from a Linux Live CD to use your computer for everyday tasks (email, documents, Internet browsing...). Linux Live CDs run only from the CD and your system memory (they don't install anything on your hard drive unless you ask them to). You can still create documents and save them to the existing Windows Documents folders, without bothering the Windows operating system files at all.

If you keep a Live CD handy, you don't need to worry about losing access to the Internet or any other basic work.

Sort of an "insurance policy"

And - any suggestions we make are just suggestions: please feel free to choose your own preferences: it's your computer, after all!

(I just hope that it starts working better soon!)

#7 ·
Most registration key finder programs will also show the key used for other programs. On my w10 drive (which is collecting dust on a shelf..) internet explorer for example, uses the original w7 key for it's key. There are a few other programs that do the same, not all MS, but can't remember them.
So download a keyfinder, and check your programs that were installed before w10.

#8 ·
Not all keyfinders give you the proper coa to install Windows. The best one that does is Belarc:
Belarc - System Management For The Internet Age. Software license management, IT asset management, IT security audits and more.
Give us the make and model of computer and we probably can direct you to buying inexpensive restore disks from pc maker, that will allow you to reinstall like Windows 8.1 day 1. You may also still be able to use recovery partition to do so again if we knew make and model of pc.

#9 ·
First, OldGrayGary, I'd like to tell you I've been using Microsoft software programs since I first got online 17 years ago, and these problems I'm having with the Win10 OS is the very first time I've had any trouble with any kind of Microsoft software program, ever. I've also used Internet Explorer for the 17 years I've been online and never had any problems with it, either.

Microsoft programs are really reliable as long as all the maintenance is done properly, and in a timely manner, like installing updates, clearing the cookie cache, running anti-virus scans, and any other kind of maintenance that needs to be done.

So, at this time I really don't want to move to another OS; I'd just like for Win10 to get rid of all these glitches it has. I've been using Microsoft software programs for so long, I don't want to change. I like Microsoft programs. If, at a later time, it's determined we can't do that then we can look at another OS but not until it's established Win10 either won't work, or my PCs freeze, whichever comes first.

OK, I've been doing some research on the problems with this Win10 Anniversary up date and found this quote on another, reputable website, which they say is taken verbatim from the Microsoft Support website:

"Microsoft has received a small number of reports of Windows 10 freezing after installing the Anniversary Update on systems with the operating system stored on a solid-state drive (SSD) and apps and data stored on a separate drive. This issue does not occur when starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode. If you are experiencing this issue, we will be providing updates to this thread…We ask for your patience while we continue our investigation and please check back on this thread for an update.”

Also, this same website quotes another message from the Microsoft Support website:

"Microsoft's big Anniversary Update for Windows released on August 2 has rendered a number of different webcams inoperable. In other words, the anniversary update is preventing the use of webcams in applications such as Skype and Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), along with all manner of custom CCTV programs for those Windows 10 users who have installed it. There's more on the webcams but this is enough.

I'm not overly concerned about the loss of use of my webcams, I have my Android phone and tablet which can replace the webcams on my PCs but losing the complete usage of my PCs will make life really complicated., as I stated earlier. PCs are no longer classified as luxuries, they are now noted as necessities.

So, OldGrayGary, here are my questions:

1. How can you determine if my PC has "...the operating system stored on a solid-state drive (SSD) and apps and data stored on a separate drive" so we can understand what effect this update will have on my PC, and what can I tell you to help find this out?

2. Does the above Microsoft quote mean starting Win10 in Safe Mode would allow the OS to work as usual even if the PCs are frozen?

3. Could the above Microsoft quite mean installing the update in Safe Mode might make the update more effective and possibly mitigate any ill effects?

#10 ·
1)Well I am not Gary but let me start you anyway....use of Speccy will tell you the hard drives and all the rest of the hardware information and 4 years or older I would doubt you have an SSd drive in it.
https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
2) Safe Mode works with many less drivers and is slower than Windows but it is a good check to help see where the issues are but not something you want to use every day.
3) Actually quite the opposite often times software will install in safe mode and then have fits when faced with a boo up into full Windows. Most updates for Windows won't install in safe mode anyway.

#11 ·
One more thing is that this service pack was intended to fix many of the issues for Windows 10 so the suggestion you try it first makes perfect sense.
Make and model of laptop and we can tell you how to reinstall Windows 8.1 from recovery partition if the Upgrade fails you anyway, or you can get restore disks from whoever made the laptop also.

#12 ·
Hi again all

sweetrosette - I think Rich may have answered most of your questions already (thank you, Rich, by the way!) ...

SSDs ... Rich provided the link to the ever-handy "Speccy" app. It's made by Piriform, a solid and well-recommended software company (one of my favorite sources for system utilities). Speccy can tell you lots of information about your system, and it takes up almost no space at all. It will list your hard drives, processors, optical drives, system memory, sound devices, graphics card(s) ... even some of your license keys (although perhaps BelArc Advisor is a little better at the product key finding). Give it a try, especially if it helps put your mind at ease about the "known-issue" of some systems with SSDs holding the Windows system files while other apps/programs are stored on other hard drives.

Note -- I haven't seen any computers with freezing issues after upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary version 1607. And - just this last weekend, I clean installed Windows 10 Anniversary version 1607 onto an old Vista laptop: it installed like a dream, took less than 16 GB of space (even after all my repair-business documents were "synced" locally), and runs faster than Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or the earlier "Insider" builds of Windows 10 ever did. [So - you've got a good chance of success with a Windows 8 machine].

Most of my customers have had pleasant success upgrading to Windows 10 (or buying it pre-installed). The main exceptions have been "gamers" with very expensive computers that push the limits of hardware (and drivers) [no problems with stability, mind you... just problems with noisy audio]. If you aren't a serious gamer (ie, with a desktop Nvidia 1080 running on a Asus/ASRock Z170 motherboard that includes a Realtek audio chip) ... you should be OK.

Safe Mode ... It sounds like the folks with that "known issue" of having Windows on an SSD & everything else on other drives - were able to use their computers (to some extent) in Safe Mode.

I don't think that this will be an issue for your system. It's a very specific group. To get things installed in the manner producing the problem - you've have to run a special, "Custom" install, and manipulate the partitions just right, and alter the default location of programs during their installations.

That just isn't how most folks have Windows 10 installed. Advanced power users - they might. But not average users.

Have a look with Speccy, it will only take a few minutes. It should put your mind at ease.

Let us know if you have any trouble deciding which way to go. You get to choose, after all: it's your computer.

If you don't use that many programs, and have installation files (downloads or CD/DVDs) for your programs ... and have your personal files backed up (or can back them up online/externally [CDs/DVDs/external drives/online backups]) .... I'd recommend creating a Windows 10 installation DVD using the Media Creation tool ... and using that to clean install Windows 10. Then reinstall your programs, and restore your personal files from backups. If you use/used OneDrive to backup your personal files before the clean install , the process is very easy. Your files reappear in the same folders as before, soon after you finish installing Windows 10 Anniversary edition (setting up OneDrive is part of the installation).

Clean installs simply have the highest percentage chance of success. And they take up much less room! And are speedier. Less headaches all around.

[You can tell what side of the fence I'm on ...]

It's still your choice, though. Let us know which way you want to go, and we'll help you get there. If you decide on Windows 8.1, see what Speccy has to say about your make/model (or copy down any make/model information on your computer's case) ... we can guide you better with that info.

Time for Old Gray to visit dreamland ... it's late here in Southern California ...

Cheers

#13 ·
P.S. ... It only took about an hour to clean install Windows 10 version 1607 onto the old Vista laptop. The files all synced with the first half hour after the install was complete. MS Office only took a few minutes to install. Other programs, even less time.

Computers are just fast nowadays! [There weren't any personal computers when I went to college, and mainframes hadn't been around that long either :) .... there were those newfangled "electric typewriters" though]

#14 ·
Note -- I haven't seen any computers with freezing issues after upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary version 1607. And - just this last weekend, I clean installed Windows 10 Anniversary version 1607 onto an old Vista laptop: it installed like a dream, took less than 16 GB of space (even after all my repair-business documents were "synced" locally), and runs faster than Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or the earlier "Insider" builds of Windows 10 ever did. [So - you've got a good chance of success with a Windows 8 machine].

Most of my customers have had pleasant success upgrading to Windows 10 (or buying it pre-installed). The main exceptions have been "gamers" with very expensive computers that push the limits of hardware (and drivers) [no problems with stability, mind you... just problems with noisy audio]. If you aren't a serious gamer (ie, with a desktop Nvidia 1080 running on a Asus/ASRock Z170 motherboard that includes a Realtek audio chip) ... you should be OK.

P.S. ... It only took about an hour to clean install Windows 10 version 1607 onto the old Vista laptop. The files all synced with the first half hour after the install was complete. MS Office only took a few minutes to install. Other programs, even less time.

Computers are just fast nowadays! [There weren't any personal computers when I went to college, and mainframes hadn't been around that long either :) .... there were those newfangled "electric typewriters" though]

Glad to hear from you, OldGrayGary. I do appreciate what others have to say, but your syntax and sentence structure just resonates with me, and I because of that I really find it easy to understand what you're trying to explain to me.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't work with anyone else. I would, have and will. Just find I understand your writing best, that's all. You and Stancestans. You're both extremely detailed, and when I was working I was in aerospace manufacturing as a Quality Inspector, and had to be very detail-oriented. So, I respond well to that.

No, I'm not a gamer. However, I do like having lots of RAM. If you'll refer to My System at the left << you'll see I have 12 Gigs of RAM on my desktop but only 4 on my laptop but I just bought 8 new GIGs of RAM to have installed on my laptop. Love me some big RAM.....lol.....

OK, so some questions. With me it's always the questions. Can't help it.

So, you said you did a "clean install of Windows 10 Version 1607." Is this different than the Windows 10 I have on my PC now? Is it different than just doing an install of the Windows Anniversary Update?

The way you've described it, it sounds like this was a whole entire OS system install which requires backing up everything on the PC, first, then formatting the Hard Drive, then installing the OS. Is that what we're talking about here?

#16 ·
Thanks, Rich M, and I assure you I'm not trying to be difficult with all these questions, I'm just one of those people who needs to understand what I'm doing before I do it.

If I just do something without understanding the process I'm not learning anything, I'm just doing it blindly by rote. That doesn't help me later down the road when some other problem comes up and I want to try to figure it out, on my own. I do try to figure out any problems I have, first, before coming here.

Of course, this trip to the Tech Support Forum wasn't really for a problem, per se, it was only because I wanted to go back to 8.1 because of the number of problems I'm having with 10.

However, OldGrayGary offered me some solutions for Win10 where I thought there weren't any, and if I can stay with Microsoft OS I'm really up for that. Been a Microsoft person for so long, I really didn't want to change, I just didn't know what else to do.

OK, so I just downloaded the Speccy software from Piriform (thank you for that) and the first thing that jumped out at me was my CPU was rated at 111*C. WOW......that's over 231* F !!

Could the CPU running this hot have any bearings on the problems I'm having with my laptop? Or are they designed to withstand this kind of heat?

I had it sitting on my lap, and immediately put it on the arm of my sofa, instead, and the temp started dropping. After about 15 mins the temp is now hovering between 92*C nd 95*C. Does the temp need to drop more? If so, what can I do to bring the temp down even lower?

And, just for the record, under Storage it says I have a 465GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 SATA Disk Device (SATA). Don't think that is a SSD, is it?

#17 ·
Just to answer some earlier questions--I don't use my PCs for business, I'm retired, so I never use Microsoft Office. However, I do have lots of stuff in My Documents. Lots. My desktop is like a big 4 drawer filing cabinet, the laptop like a 2 drawer.

I use my PCs for surfing, shopping, Google, and going to various group and club websites I'm a member of, to chat with others there on the message boards.

I don't watch TV on my PCs, I have a 55" TV for that. I don't play games on my PCs, not into gaming.

I do have lots of photos on both my PCs, and use Photoshop a lot. I have a certain amount of music, but not a lot--probably a couple dozen CDs, total, but don't use either of my PCs to play music much.

This is what my PC usage looks like.

#18 ·
Laptops should not be used on your lap regardless of their name they do not do well on laps, nor sofa's beds etc, best possible scenario is on a hard flat surface or a laptop stand, this allows for good airflow thereby allowing it to run cooler, age also comes into play at points as a older laptop which has never been opened up may have accumulated dust and it is also possible the thermal paste has become less effective at it's job.
We have some stickys in the laptop section you might find useful IE http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/caring-for-your-notebook-computer-542731.html

#21 · (Edited)
Thank you, Joeten for that. I didn't know a laptop shouldn't be on my lap!!....lol....:smile:.....who knew that name was a misnomer? I sure didn't.

Guess I need a what? A laptop stand? OK, that's what I'll go shopping for and buy it as soon as I can.

I'll also go look at the Sticky you've referenced. Sounds like I need a laptop education.....

#20 ·
Hi again all ---

Hot, hot, hot!
Wowza ... your notebook was generating the kind of heat usually only seen around teenage boys ogling the latest Hollywood beauty. :)

Check out the notebook care notes that joeten gave you the link for. Nice article. A good first step is the puff of air to blow out dust (puff the air in through the intake vent and out through the exhaust vent). Of course it's best to unplug the power cord, and remove the battery when blowing out the dust.

There are some nice lapdesks that can help with the heat. Some add cooling fans to blow a bit more air up to the intake vents on the bottom of many laptops. You might or might not need that much cooling ... but you really want to avoid having your temps over 70 degrees Celsius much.

Since my kids read a lot of books when they were little (now they read everything on their notebooks) ... we have a lot of oversized kids books laying around. You know what they are fairly good for? You guessed it -- lightweight, free, lap-desks! You can try this free alternative with any thin, light (but strong) hardback book that is a good two inches or more wider and longer than your laptop. Run Speccy to see how the temps look. It might be that blowing out the dust and keeping the laptop on a flat surface not blocking the vents -- will be enough. My favorite laptop lap-desk for quite a while was a "World History Time Line Wall Chart" (my wife's laptop was starting to get a bit warm, so she now has that as her "lap desk"). [In case you're wondering, the wall chart folds out of the book like a Chinese fan]. A used book store in your area might yield a decent tome to cool things with.

Store-bought lapdesks start at about $20 and go up to $30 or so. Some have little cushions to make them feel, well, "cushy-er". It's something you can see at your local store before buying, and find what feels right for you. My wife, kids, & I find that we actually prefer the thin old hardback books, because it's so hot here where we live, the cushions tend to make our laps feel a bit warm.

Power Options: since your processing needs are on the light side, you can check that your "power plan" matches your style. If you've set things to "maximum performance" ... try dialing back to "Balanced". I think your Amd processor has a power-savings setting or two, also: have a look, and let it save power - for that can help reduce heat as well.

Your Toshiba hard drive
Nice and roomy hard drive that you have: it is a "500 GB" regular "spinning" hard drive [It's not a solid-state drive ("SSD"). No worries! .... It should last a good long while, too. Your model hard drive was brand-spanking new in 2014 (which is likely about the time you got your Windows 8.1 laptop).

Your drive shouldn't be affected by the Anniversary Update issue with some SSDs.

Anniversary Update
As Rich mentions, it's a major update. It is so big that if you get it using the Windows Upgrade Assistant, it creates a "Windows.old" folder on your computer that contains your old system, and then gets around to installing itself [don't worry, you can remove those extra files/folders using Disk Cleanup, after the Anniversary Update has proven that it runs OK on your computer]. You get the Windows Upgrade Assistant, by the way, when you click on the "Learn More" blue-highlighted link for "Looking for info on the latest updates" in Start > Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Update...

The clean install that I mentioned refers to starting from scratch. I usually backup things that I want to keep ... and completely erase the hard drive. I then make a Windows 10 installation DVD with the latest version directly from Microsoft, and use that to install. Then I restore my backups and reinstall MS Office & such.

The advantage of a clean install is that it can avoid nagging incompatibilities from manufacturer's utilities. These utilities often are redundant, and often don't work well with versions of Windows newer than what they were designed for. The clean install also save a fair amount of space (since your drive is so roomy, this likely won't matter much to you)....

I think you can try the upgrade method first. You have to have 20 GB of free space for it to install - so check that first (again, since your drive is large - you'll probably be OK). The upgrade steps are all listed in my 2nd post in this thread, in the "Get the Anniversary Update..." section.

Cheers

#22 ·
70*C !!! Wow !

Yikes!! At 92*C to 96* C, I'm way out of that limit!! OK, you've convinced me I need to do something immediately to lower the temp of this laptop, so will get a laptop stand right away.

$20-$30 isn't a lot of money, so that's top on the list to buy at the 1st of the month. I'll get the one with the fans. That sounds like fun and is "gadgety." Love gadgety-type thingees....lol....besides we all need another battery-run gadget for the home, don't we??....LOL....:grin:....

I'll also blow out the intake vents. I have some canned air I use on the keyboard all the time, so it isn't a big deal to take an extra moment and use it on the vents. As for breaking the case open, I just bought two new 4 Gig RAM cards, so the laptop will be in the shop soon to get them installed. I'll ask the tech to blow out the interior and also ask about the what?...thermal paste...to make sure it's in good shape and what can be done if it's not.

As for Power Options, I have the Power Options set on HP Recommended with a few tweaks for convenience. Have the monitor and sleep times set to stay on for just a bit longer than recommended. Also have the Brightness turned down to half-way, because years ago a TV tech told me Brightness is a power eater. Don't know how true that is, but if true, figured that may transpose over to monitors so I have the Brightness turned down on the laptop.

As for the AMD settings where in the world do I find that? Didn't even know I could adjust the processor settings. Should I change the setting and if so, what do you suggest I change the settings to? And where do I find these settings?

On the same note, while I was thinking about the processor I just now went to the Device Manager and clicked on Processor, then right-clicked on the AMD processor. I then got some kind of notice about a Snap-on something or other process that didn't work. I've included a screenshot on all this 'cause don't have a clue what just happened. You'll need to let me know if this is something we need to deal with.

Which, OldGrayGary, is a prime example of why I'm always in this Forum. Crazy things like this Snap-in whatever is always popping up in this laptop and I won't know what it is or what it means or what to do about it, so I have to stop in here to get a clarification and sometimes a solution from the tech agents. I'ts just maddening. Since last summer I've been here in this Forum for months and months, trying to get things settled down. I'ts just one thing after another and it's craziness.

OK, one last thing with this reply. Back in Post #6 you said, "...and you've run diagnostics that show no physical part failures..." Let's start here. When I ran the Speccy software was that a diagnostic that would tell us whether or not there were any physical failures in this laptop?

Attachments

#23 ·
Just one last thing for now......I have a 500 Gig Hard Drive in this laptop but at this time am only using 81 Gigs. This will change as I go along. There's no photos or music on this PC, yet.

#24 ·
Just to dispel an old internet rumor, a laptop on a lap or pillow or some soft surface did not cause the fire that burned down the house. Defective laptop batteries or faulty wiring however, can cause a conflagration. Using on a lap only causes computer problems.

#25 ·
You said, "Using on a lap only causes computer problems."

Using "what" on a laptop only causes computer problems?

There's no topic in the above sentence and I don't understand.

Oh, wait, or did you mean to say, "Using a laptop on a lap only causes computer problems." Probably that's what you meant to say......

#27 ·
Hi again

HP Non-Support
Hm ... I took a look on Hp.com, and couldn't find any listing for HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15-b142bx. But there was a listing for a Sleekbook 15-b142dx ... I'm guessing the "b" is just a typo (since there aren't very many models of that particular line). [Or your model was purchased outside the United States, where other models numbers roam].

Hp doesn't provide any downloadable Windows 10 specific drivers for laptops built before 2013, and, in your case, (models built after 2013, your 15-b142dx is not on the table posted on their website - that lists models that HP officially supports for Windows 10).

This isn't the worst thing in the world, but it means that HP utilities carried over from your Windows 8.1 installation might not work in Windows 10. One of these utilities is called "HP CoolSense" - which helps with temperature control. This means that you will have to use settings in the BIOS/UEFI for the basic power settings, and settings built into Windows 10 - for the fancier power controls. And there are also some power settings in the Amd Catalyst driver screens (mostly for the Radeon video ... anything that helps cool things off!)...

I had a look around the Hp site & visited an Hp forum or two, and noticed that quite a lot of folks with your model had trouble with overheating. So - I'm glad that you are planning on blowing out dust, & giving a lap-desk with cooling fans a try. Should help.

You will be getting most of your driver updates directly from Microsoft Windows Update. [Though you can also manually download drivers for special hardware you might buy - like a fancy headset, musical instrument, printer, or camera].

And, since most of the HP utilities are not supported in Windows 10, you probably will want to uninstall most all of the HP utilities that came with the laptop ... HP Coolsense, HP Support Assistant, etc... ...[Note: should you do a "clean install" of Windows 10 build 1607, you won't have to worry about those utilities]

BIOS/UEFI settings for power-savings (and less heat)
Since you are going to be taking your computer to a shop to install the new memory upgrade, see if they can check your power-savings & fan control settings to ensure maximum cooling. There are a few settings specific to your Amd A6-4455M processor that might help: they'd look for "Cool'n'Quiet" or "PowerNow!", or such. What you want are settings that allow the cpu to slow down when not needed, and run more slowly for light tasks.

New SSD
If you have a little extra cash laying around, you could pop in a new SSD drive to replace your spacious spinner ... not as much room, but should use less power and run cooler. You might see a nice improvement in system responsiveness, too. (Faster!) Since you only are using a tiny portion of your 500 GB hard drive (81 GB), you could likely do nicely with a $60 240 GB or 256 GB SSD. [... and you could keep your old "spinner", put it in a $10 external enclosure - and use it as a local backup & extra storage for music, pictures, videos, & movies ... AND: you still wouldn't have to worry about the Anniversary Update's problem with SSDs - it only occurs when two internal drives are present & programs are installed on the second hard drive rather than on the same drive that has the Windows operating system on it...] ---And the guys at the shop could put the new SSD in at the same time they are installing the new memory & blowing out the dust. ...after all, $60 is dinner-and-a-movie money nowadays...

"Snap-in has stopped responding"
Not a wonderful message to see. This error message was referring to Event Viewer. Event-Viewer is one of the tools in "Administrative Tools", part of the "Management Console". The error mostly means what it says: Event View didn't answer quickly enough to a communication. It can happen when your computer is really busy, or simply getting too hot again. It can sometimes happen when there is a problem with the program, too ... but program errors tend to produce odd behavior by the program, or the program simply abruptly disappears.

Diagnostics
"Speccy" is a wonderful information-gathering tool: but not a diagnostic program. Diagnostics perform tests on the parts in a computer, to see if they are still working OK. Speccy tells you the name of the parts, a few details about what they can do & their settings, and (nicely handy) how hot or cool they are.

Your HP has diagnostics built-in. You can run them when you first power-on your computer, or just after you re-start. For your model, when starting or re-starting your laptop, as soon as you see the HP logo, press the ESC key (upper left-hand corner of your keyboard) and then press the F2 key. Run as many tests as you can as thoroughly as you can. That will let you know if the guys at the shop will need to look at anything that might be acting up.

Let us know if you have any questions, or if the diagnostics produce any troublesome messages.

We'll hope for an "Easy A"!

#28 ·
OldGrayGary, I'm so sorry for the typo. Yes, you're correct, that model number should have been 15-b142dx. I've made this mistake a couple of times. I've now changed it in My System and it's the right number.

You said"Your HP has diagnostics built-in. You can run them when you first power-on your computer, or just after you re-start. For your model, when starting or re-starting your laptop, as soon as you see the HP logo, press the ESC key (upper left-hand corner of your keyboard) and then press the F2 key. Run as many tests as you can as thoroughly as you can. That will let you know if the guys at the shop will need to look at anything that might be acting up."

I think these diagnostic tests are the first place to start. Nothing I do to clear up the software will work if other things are out of whack.

So, I did as you instructed and nothing happened. I restarted the PC and when the HP logo came on I first pressed the ESC key then released it, then pressed the F2 key and released it. This did nothing, and the PC just went to the logon screen.

Then, I restarted again, and when the HP logo came up I pressed the ESC and F2 keys at the same time and released. Nothing. Just went to the log on screen again.

Then, I restarted again, and when the HP logo came on the screen this time I pressed the ESC and F2 keys down at the same time and held them down. Nothing. Back to the logon screen.

Then, I restarted again and when the HP logo came on I pressed the ESC key, held it down and began to tap the F2 key slowly. Again, nothing. Well, not quite nothing. When I got logged on to my laptop, the wifi would not stay connected and the battery icon was missing from the task tray.

Another restart and the laptop went back to the logon screen as before. When I logged on the wifi was back and the battery icon was in the task tray as usual.

So, is there something else I should try to fid the diagnostics?

#29 · (Edited)
One other thing.....I completely shut down the laptop, waited 5 mins and then restarted. When the HP logo came up I pressed the ESC and F2 key. Nothing happened once again. Just went to the logon screen as usual.

#30 ·
It is possible you have been just a moment late in using the button, this is one of the most frustrating things you will encounter, we all have had this happen the other thing is that it may be another key, however if you boot the laptop up and watch the bottom left corner it may well tell you exactly which key or combination of keys you need to use.
On some machines you can be looking at booting up via the power button and near immediately holding down the other key or keys to get it to the point you need.

#31 · (Edited)
Hi again

The instructions in the HP user guide for your system are unfortunately ultra-brief & cryptic. Here's their exact wording:
To start System Diagnostics:
1. Turn on or restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f2.
2. Select the diagnostic test you want to run, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
NOTE: If you need to stop a diagnostic test while it is running, press esc.
Now, my first guess would be that F2 should yield a "Boot Menu", and the F2 should yield the screen from which you select which diagnostics to run.

Some laptop keyboards toggle their function keys by a setting in the BIOS/UEFI. Since pressing ESC alone didn't yield a boot menu, try pressing the Fn and ESC key at the same time. (might have to tap them together a few times to get your laptop's attention). Then, if a Boot Menu including a "Diagnostics" choice should appear, tap the key the menu suggests for diagnostics -- the manual thinks it's going to be the F2 key (which you might have to press Fn and F2 at the same time to produce).

Try that - and let us know: two thumbs up / or / two thumbs down.

HP could do with putting a few screen shots in their user guides for the BIOS/UEFI screens. Heaven sakes, they put pictures of everything else in!

[... and hi, joeten -- we were typing at the same time ... but I'm slower again! Looks like I'll miss out on the next typing Olympics]

#35 · (Edited)
Hi again

The instructions in the HP user guide for your system are unfortunately ultra-brief & cryptic. Here's their exact wording:

Now, my first guess would be that F2 should yield a "Boot Menu", and the F2 should yield the screen from which you select which diagnostics to run.

Some laptop keyboards toggle their function keys by a setting in the BIOS/UEFI. Since pressing ESC alone didn't yield a boot menu, try pressing the Fn and ESC key at the same time. (might have to tap them together a few times to get your laptop's attention). Then, if a Boot Menu including a "Diagnostics" choice should appear, tap the key the menu suggests for diagnostics -- the manual thinks it's going to be the F2 key (which you might have to press Fn and F2 at the same time to produce).

Try that - and let us know: two thumbs up / or / two thumbs down.

HP could do with putting a few screen shots in their user guides for the BIOS/UEFI screens. Heaven sakes, they put pictures of everything else in!

[... and hi, joeten -- we were typing at the same time ... but I'm slower again! Looks like I'll miss out on the next typing Olympics]
OK, I'm back.....have been really busy in life since the last time I was here. As I said, my daughter came for a short visit, then I burned my hand really badly, then I came down with the flu, then the steering went out in the car, then.....then....then. Gawd, does the list never end??.....yikes.

Ok, so this is what I discovered about finding the internal computer diagnoses......Restart then before the HP icon comes on press Esc then F2. This takes me where I need to be.

I ran all the tests except the one that needs over 2 hours to complete, and got normal results in the tests I ran. Just didn't want to run the long one, didn't have the mindset to sit through it. Thought since all the other tests were good, this one would be, too. If you think I should go back and run it, I will.

The latest that has happened in my computer is the Anniversary Update came along just last week. Took two hours to install, and it fooled with my laptop something awful. The first thing it did was make the screen sooooo bright I almost couldn't watch it, and the brightness control was missing.

I spent a couple hours on Google looking for a solution (I do try to look for answers on the net before coming here), and what finally fixed it was going into Device Manager > Monitor > whatever the drop down was (don't remember) then right click on that whatever it was I didn't remember > left click on Enable.

The brightness was immediately dimmed and the brightness control was back so I could adjust it. Thank goodness.

Also, the Anniversary Update changed ever single "decoration" change I had made in my computer--it basically reset everything back to default settings, so I spent hours getting things back to how I wanted them.

OK, so this is where I am, now--post-Anniversary Update.

I'm going to leave my laptop here for a while to see if those awful features I don't like about Win10 have been changed. However, if I still find I'm having problems, I'll be back to see about reverting to 8.1.

I think in all my "travels" in Google looking for answers to the changes made by this Anniversary Update I ran across how to revert back to 8.1, but I'll back here and check in with you guys to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I'm really tired of all these computer problems Win10 has given me, and really just want to be done with it all.

I don't want to mark this thread Solved just yet, if that's ok. I want some time to see how the Anniversary Update works.

In the meantime, I'm going over to my other thread about re-establishing my homegroup as I haven't had it for months and it's really making working on my PC a pain. The Homegroup connects, then doesn't connect, then connects again, and it's maddening. Right now there's no network, and I want to re-establish it. Maybe with the Anniversary Update this problem has been solved.

#33 ·
My daughter came in Sunday night for a quick 4 day visit and just put her on a plane for home yesterday, Thursday, 9-1. Plus, Monday night, 8-29, I burned my left hand really badly and this is making it hard to type.

I have reports on the diagnostics, so I'll be back in a bit after my hand has healed some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.