Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does new motherboard require new win10

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MrFox 
#1 ·
If I replace my motherboard, CPU, and memory will I have to buy a new version of win 10 or can I use the dvd I created from my current system? Obviously I will install win 10 fresh, but will it activate?

Thanks

#5 ·
You don't even really need to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 just because you're swapping hardware. You'd just need to install drivers for the new hardware. Also, are you replacing the hardware for an upgrade? Or because your hardware failed?

You'll still have your key, you can try activating by phone, otherwise you can reach out to Microsoft. You'll need to provide some proof of purchase for the new hardware and whatnot, but they'll be able to get you re-activated.

#6 ·
My hardware is over a decade old. It is running fine. The only problem is it often hangs on boot; I suspect this is because there is a marvell sata chip on the motherboard and I have a pci sata board that also has a marvell sata chip.

I'm thinking that the new AMD cpu with 6 cores would be a nice upgrade.

Would you happen to know what the microsoft phone number to call is?

Thanks for the info,
Spike

#7 ·
Would you happen to know what the microsoft phone number to call is?
The activate-by-phone is automated and is done from the Windows activation screen. So you'd want to go to your System page in your control panel, press Activate Windows, then hit Activate By Phone.

If that doesn't work, you should try reaching out to them by chat.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.