Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do I need to download the Windows 10 update?

861 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  OldGrayGary 
#1 ·
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 100 that came with Windows 10.

Do I need to download the Anniversary update, or does this happen automatically, since I already have Windows 10?

Thanks,

cashcqshel

#3 · (Edited)
Hi cashcqshel ... and welcome to the forums ...

The Anniversary update will arrive automatically, so long as your system has enough hard drive space. Some systems with smallish SSDs aren't receiving the update because they don't have enough room. The update requires 20 GB of free disk space.

Should you have plenty of room on your hard drive, and you would like to try the Anniversary update right away, you can:
1) Click on the Windows 10 Start Menu icon
2) Select Settings
3) Select Updates & Security
4) Select "Check for updates"
5) If you see the item "Feature Update for Windows 10 version 1607" - that is the Anniversary update. Allow it to download and install.
6) If you didn't see the Anniversary update listed, click on the blue-highlighted item "Learn More" that is just below "Looking for info on the latest updates?" .... that link will take you to a Microsoft website where you can download an applet that you can run to download and install the Anniversary update.

Since you already have Windows 10, the Anniversary update will create a folder on your hard drive called "Windows.old". That folder allows you to uninstall the Anniversary update if you don't like it (or if it proves unstable on your PC). If the Anniversary update runs well on your system, you can later remove the Windows.old folder using "Disk Cleanup" and the "Clean System Files ... Previous Operating system files" options.

Enjoy

[... and hi there Masterchief ]

#4 ·
Hi Gary,

Since you already have Windows 10, the Anniversary update will create a folder on your hard drive called "Windows.old". That folder allows you to uninstall the Anniversary update if you don't like it (or if it proves unstable on your PC). If the Anniversary update runs well on your system, you can later remove the Windows.old folder using "Disk Cleanup" and the "Clean System Files ... Previous Operating system files" options.
I had a win 10 fresh install on a computer I built in Feb 2016 it updated to anniversary edition , however it did not create a windows old to revert to the previous windows ten version...

#5 ·
Hi again all

Hm ... I'll have to check around to see the conditions for when the Anniversary Update creates a "Windows.old". My first guess is that it might only happen for systems who force the update, by clicking on the "Learn more" link, which brings them to the Upgrade Assistant download link. I'll have to verify this, but I'm guessing it treats those using the Upgrade Assistant to install the Anniversary Update as full-version upgrades (hence the Windows.old that I've seen on my Windows 10 tester laptops, and on the customers laptops that I upgraded for them) ....

Thankfully, the updates have gone well for the computers I've upgraded so far ......

#9 ·
The new build while released for most users, is being phased in. Some have already received a cumulative update for it, yet others are still on the old build although they could upgrade manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.