Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diagnostic policy server not running

SOLVED 
2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  revrora 
#1 ·
This issue appeared yesterday. Internet wasn't working then the trouble shooter gave me the error; Diagnostic policy server not running.

I've tried starting it from services with no luck and ran a couple of command prompts that had worked for other people (net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice)

Any help appreciated
kind regards
Trevor

#2 ·
Hi, that service should not prevent your internet from running, it can safely be set to manual start, it has no dependencies in 10.

We can query it for you, and use the exit code to diagnose the problem.

Open search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. At the prompt copy paste:-

echo > 0 & sc qc DPS >> 0 & sc queryex DPS >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, please copy paste the notepad outcome here.

In addition (since your internet problem is caused by something else) also at an elevated cmd prompt (as shown) copy paste:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & Ipconfig/all >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, please ATTACH the notepad outcome with your next post.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Jenae,
Thanks for the reply.
I have attached the results.

I think it all started after the computer awoke from sleep mode and there was no internet access.

The network trouble shooter fails because the diagnostic policy server wont start.
I got the internet working but I can't turn on my Windows firewall. Error 0x8007042c
I cant do a system restore, as it always fails. error 0x800703f1

Attachments

#4 ·
Hi, you would be better served if you updated your computer to the creators version, it would most likely fix your problems. Windows firewall needs BFE service running and it is not. DPS shows no error codes, so we would need to look at the registry... try the update first I am confident it will fix these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.