Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Credential Manager Problem....

SOLVED 
5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  sweetrosette 
#1 · (Edited)
I went into the Credential Manager and accidently deleted a website with all the logon information. Went back to the website to re-logon hoping the logon info would be stored again in the Credential Manager but I didn't get the small screen asking if I'd like the password to be saved.

So, obviously I've told the Credential Manager never to store the logon info for this website. Bummer......

Can I get Credential Manager to restore this website's logon information again? How do I get this website off the "Do not store the logon info to this website ever again" list?

Is there any way to manually store a logon user name and password for a website like there was in Windows XP?

All my system info is over there << at My System

#2 ·
Hi there

I don't use Edge much, nor Credential Manager, but the folks at laptopmag.com were nice enough to create a detailed guide (complete with screenshots!) ...
How to View and Manage Saved Passwords in Edge Browser

Let us know if that guide didn't help.

[I generally don't save passwords for websites. I like making myself remember the passwords & give my old brain a little memory workout :) ]

#3 · (Edited)
Hi, OldGrayGary!! Imagine seeing you here!!....:wavey:.....

Thank you so much for helping me with this problem. I'm having enough trouble with this old laptop! and here I go making even more problems for myself!!

As for remembering all my passwords, I'm probably on at least 75+ different websites, and I don't have the capacity to remember all those different logons!!!......LOL.....:angel:.....best to let the PC do that for me!!

Just so you'll know I don't use Edge. It has several features I don't care for, the most annoying one being--once the you fill up the Link area across the top, and they go "over the side" into the "drop-down over-flow" section, as I call it, you aren't able to sort them or organize them into any kind of order.

May not be a big deal for other folx, but for me and my wont for organizing it's annoying. At last count I had 42 Links, and with that many I need to be able to organize them into an order that makes sense to me and I can't do that with Edge.

So, I use IE 11, and am happy with it. It does everything I want, and does everything I ask of it. It also uses the Credential Manager in the Control Panel, so I'll see if the steps for Edge works for IE 11--right this minute.

OK, followed the instructions for Edge, and I've been where the instructions took me before. I do try to figure things out before I come here to the Forum, but nothing I've done to this point has changed the fact that I've told the Credential Manager never to save this particular website's logon again.

I've sent a screenshot of one of the instructions found at the website you sent me to show what I did. See the word "Remove" at the bottom of the example shown in the Credential Manager? I clicked that on that for my garden club's website thinking I was removing the password so I could set another one, because the garden club's "Forgot Your Password" feature wasn't working and I needed to get into the website to reply to a message I'd gotten.

However, that "Remove" command told the Credential Manager never to save the logon for that website again, and I'm just wondering if there is a way to reinstate the logon.

I'm beginning to think this isn't going to be possible. I think once the Credential Manager has been told never to save a logon for a particular website, there's no way to reverse that.

Oh, well, all is not lost. I've been thinking about going back to Norton Antivirus and this is just the impetus I need to do that. Their ID Safe has the ability to reinstate a logon once it's been put on the "do-not-save-this-logon-again" list. I bought Norton 360 antivirus many years ago, right after it came out because it was the first (or what I thought was the first) antivirus which had an ID Safe for logons for websites.

The 360 was for multiple PCs but I bought it anyway simply for that ID Safe feature even though I only had one computer at the time. As I stated earlier, I'm on a fairly large number of websites and this fact makes it impossible to remember all the logons. Well, maybe I should restate that--I don't want to remember 75+ logons....lol...:smile: I suppose if I put my mind to it I could, but there just are too many other things to remember in this life time and logons aren't high on my list of priorities.

OK, so that's that, and I'll see about getting Norton, again. I stopped my subscription for the 360 years ago because it got really expensive--it was for 3 PCs, after all, and I only had one at that time. However, I now have a desktop and a laptop, so it makes sense to get it again.

Thanks, again, Old GrayGary, and I'll go over to the other thread, now, and go over your last answer to it, again. I read it late last night but was too sleepy to spend the time needed to answer.

Attaching the screenshot of the Credential Manager example.

Attachments

#4 ·
Hi again

Just in case you want to try and save a little money ... :)

Here's yet another guide to Credential Manager. It is quite straight-to-the-point and brief! (Not at all like Old Gray). Manage Stored User Names and Passwords in Windows 10

Try the part where you "add a new credential" ... I would expect that since this method has you manually enter the website's address & password -- it should have at least a 50/50 chance of succeeding.

Also - notice that they mention you can make a backup of your stored/saved passwords in Credential Manager (and for free!). Restoring can be a matter of just a few clicks.

Now, Norton is a well-regarded company, but I wouldn't buy their antivirus suite just for their password manager. (I'm on the border of frugal to ridiculously frugal). And Norton is best suited for reasonably powerful computers (360 does so much to protect you - that it has a tendency to slow things down a bit on average computers owned by "thrifty" folks like me).

See how it goes.

And - don't be shy about asking us questions. Each one is a puzzle, and a bonus prize for those of us who've already finished today's daily crossword....

#5 ·
My daughter came in Sunday night for a quick 4 day visit, plus Monday night I burned my left hand really badly and am not able to type really well, yet. Like what you've had to say. I'll get back here when my hand heals up a bit.

#6 ·
And, then, I came down with a really awful flu a week or so after my daughter visited (she left a parting gift..lol), and then the car had a serious, and expensive problem, so after life had it's way with me, I'm finally back to pick up where I left off.

Ok, went to the website. Right clicked on Start,, and then left clicked on Command Prompt (Admin) and typed in rundll32 command as instructed and hit Enter.

Nothing.

Didn't get the pictured Stored User Names and Passwords screen or box or whatever.

Got another suggestion?

#9 ·
Clicked on the link above and this is what was there....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TutorialBy Ciprian Adrian Rusen | 02/15/2012

One way to use the Credential Manager is to export your Windows credentials to another Windows computer, or to back them up and import them after you reinstall Windows, so that you don’t have to manually type them again. This can be useful in some scenarios and we would like to show how to backup Windows credentials and restore them when needed.

Backup Your Windows User Names and Passwords
Open the Credential Manager. Under the Windows Vault look for the "Back up vault" link and click on it.

This starts the Stored User Names and Passwords wizard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I go to my Credential Manager there is no "Back up vault" link anywhere on the screen. Just two headings, Web Credentials and Windows Credentials, with a list of all the websites I keep logon information for below these two headings.

Is there anything else I should try?

#8 ·
Hi all

"Monday, Monday ..." (Mamas & Papas oldie!) .... [& Hi to Corday]

The link that Corday provides should get you to the same location that the command prompt command would take you to (the rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr command).

Try it, and see if today's a lucky day!

#10 ·
Aha!! Just found the following in my web wanderings about this Credential Manager backup problem.....

"This post will show you how to manage passwords in Internet Explorer using Credential Manager. While you can add, backup, restore Windows Credentials, there is no way to add or edit Web Credentials.

Microsoft recently enumerated the changes it incorporated in Password Policy and Autocomplete Forms in Internet Explorer 11, to reduce the confusion in users about their passwords being recalled on one site but not another. Check this post to see how Internet Explorer 11 now stores Passwords."

So, Windows Credentials can be backed up but Web Credentials cannot. The mystery is now solved.

Going to go check the link provided on How Internet Explorer 11 now stores Passwords.....

#11 ·
Hi, just had a quick look through this, back in your post #6 you say you ran a cmd and "nothing" (rundll32 command), I suspect you were confused, the cmd wanted was:-

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr (press enter, run from an admin cmd prompt), what you were looking for will open.

#12 ·
Ok, thank you for that--I didn't see I hadn't put the correct phrase in at the Command Prompt (Admin).

So, I clicked on Command Prompt (Admin) and put in the correct wording and, as I was told, the box to save the Credential Manager logins comes up.

One of the instructions in this Save operation said it was best to save the logins to a disk, so I put a CD in the D: drive and followed the rest of the instructions, or so I thought.

But, now, when I put in the disk with the logins in the D: drive to see the contents, the File Explorer screen comes up and when I click on DVD RW Drive (D:) Logins I'm told the disk is empty.

And, when I go back to Command Prompt (Admin) to redo the Save operation, I get nothing, again. I'm not able to repeat the save function.

I'm so sorry for all these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.