Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD Replacement

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  storm5510 
#1 ·
Hi all,
as some of us know CMD is being "withdrawn" however I use CMD a lot for processing my Radars output files.

Can anyone suggest a replacement for CMD or should I just build a windows XP/Win 7 VM for the processing?

#4 ·
you maybe referring to this article about a recent windows 10 preview build removing command prompt

Say goodbye to the MS-DOS command prompt | Computerworld
Late last month, in Windows 10 Preview Build 14791, the command prompt was put out to pasture. Dona Sarkar, head of the Windows Insider Program, wrote, “PowerShell is now the defacto command shell from File Explorer. It replaces Command Prompt (aka, cmd.exe).”

#6 ·
found this before -
UPDATE, December 9: A Microsoft spokesperson has contacted us to emphasize that the company is not discontinuing Cmd Prompt, but only replacing the default shell. The full statement is available below:
“Microsoft is not removing Cmd from Windows, but rather changing the default shell, launched via File Explorer and the [Win] + [X] power-user menu, from CMD to PowerShell. Users can opt to change the default shell back to Cmd via Settings and can continue to launch whichever shell they prefer, be it CMD, PowerShell, or Bash (if enabled) via the Start menu. The Windows Cmd shell has a long heritage and is an essential tool used by millions of businesses, users, and developers every day. It remains an integral part of Windows.”

PowerShell in the Shell: In an effort to bring the best command line experiences to the forefront for all power users, PowerShell is now the defacto command shell from File Explorer. It replaces Command Prompt (aka, “cmd.exe”) in the WIN + X menu, in File Explorer’s File menu, and in the context menu that appears when you shift-right-click the whitespace in File Explorer. Typing “cmd” (or “powershell”) in File Explorer’s address bar will remain a quick way to launch the command shell at that location. For those who prefer to use Command Prompt, you can opt out of the WIN + X change by opening Settings > Personalization > Taskbar, and turning “Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the Start button or press Windows key+X” to “Off”.

#9 ·
i'm just playing with it now
none of my strings will work , because of &
so a lot of shortcuts i use for people to post here PING and ipconfig results - which open into notepad - nolonger work
BUT
at least PING and ipconfig /all commands are working
at least in windows 7 version of powershell

#15 · (Edited)
must have done , but would have been by accident
Seems that if you type
CMD
in powershell
all the old strings work OK
just tried on W7 and all working fine now, following CMD

TCP/IP reset has worked on the OP in TSG , and restored internet access to the PC - see this a lot now on W10 , about 20 in the last few days
so thats all good

and to get back to powershell you type
EXIT

#16 · (Edited)
Hi, as I said cmd is included in powershell and is still standalone in the latest win ten update.. do you honestly think MS are that stupid?

EDIT:-

Powershell scripts will by default open in notepad, I have ALL script file associations set this way, it is one of the safest way's to prevent malicious script from getting on your computer.

it is possible to run a .bat file that opens powershell as admin, although it makes remote cmd's a little scary for a mum's and dad's forum like this.

As I see no move from MS to remove cmd prompt (seriously) better to just carry on as usual. If you want to use powershell advise:-

Go to start search and type powershell right click on the returned powershell and select "run as administrator" at the cmd prompt type:- cmd.exe, (press enter) command prompt (as admin) will open within powershell, then have the OP copy and paste any cmd you want such as:-

Ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) notepad will open with the output, you could have them run a .bat file as well...

#17 ·
There are many large multinational corporations and government agencies that are using large numbers of complex cmd scripts that are critical to daily operations. Removal of cmd would be a huge reason to not upgrade to Windows 10. For many it would be a deal breaker. That would cost Microsoft a great deal of money. Keeping cmd in Windows costs essentially nothing.

I can't see cmd going away anytime soon.

#18 · (Edited)
There are many large multinational corporations and government agencies that are using large numbers of complex cmd scripts that are critical to daily operations...
CMD script sounds a lot like a "batch" file. I have written many myself.

The command prompt had better not go away, at least, anytime soon. If it does, I know a bunch of number-crunchers that will not be pleased, including myself...

Edit: I just tried "cmd" in PowerShell. Works like a charm. Up until now, I've found no use for PowerShell. Of course, I've not tried either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.