Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant upgrade to windows 10 despite reserving upgrade

883 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  OldGrayGary 
#1 ·
Greetings
So here's the scenario.
On the 28th of July, I downloaded the free upgrade to windows 10 but i chose not to install it and decided to postpone for the following Monday. Things happened and I was unable to return and complete the update and since then I have been unable to find a way to upgrade.I definitely know it it is downloaded to my machine.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Hi Pyroknight

I generally go to Mary Jo Foley's blog or over to Paul Thurrott's Windows site for the latest Windows news. Both of those two noticed that Windows 10 could still be installed --- using a Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 key - during the week or so after the deadline. That might/might not still be the case.

If you have a spare drive, or can backup your current system as a system image onto an external drive, you could download the Windows 10 iso, burn it to a DVD as a "system image", and try installing it using your previous version Windows license key.

If it doesn't work, then it would appear that the somewhat unspoken "grace period" has run out.

Here's a link to Mary Jo Foley's latest news on the upgrade scene:
Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered | ZDNet

There is one other possibility. Should you be a computer user who needs to employ "assistive technologies" to use your computer, you are allowed to upgrade to Windows 10 for free without restrictions. Those with sight/hearing issues are probably the largest groups that are able to make use of voice-recognition, text-to-speech, and such tools. I have a few computer clients with a vision issue called "macular degeneration", for example, and they benefit from these assistive technologies every day.

Good luck

#5 ·
Did it refuse to download the iso, or did it refuse the product key during the installation?

Sometimes, it will give you the option to wait until after the installation to activate, where you can see if it will activate using your Microsoft account. If you linked your Windows 8.1 install to your Microsoft account, that might still be worth a shot.

I suppose you could also look, just in case, to see if you still have the GWX folder on your hard drive. If you do, make a note of what "exe" files are in there, and let us know. It might be fairly long odds, but if the time stamps on the files in there matter, an installer file in there might have a chance.

[P.S. ... also look to see if Microsoft offers to let you call and activate by telephone...]

#7 ·
Since you still have the GWX.exe installer, what the heck, run it as administrator and see what happens.

I would expect that you'll likely see a message that the deadline has passed, but the wild card in your case is that you "reserved" Windows 10 ... I haven't had any customers with your situation: so who knows, even though its a long shot, it's worth a try.

If it doesn't, you still might try contacting Microsoft directly either by phone or email. If any special conditions are allowed, perhaps they'll give you another chance at upgrading at no extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.