Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

9 reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10 -- yet

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MPR 
#1 ·
Many Windows users are looking forward to the imminent release of Microsoft's new operating system. But they may want to wait.

Windows 10 is just about here—and many users (especially those who have been wrestling with Windows 8) are probably eager to upgrade. But even if you can get it now—the upgrade will be sent first to those who signed up for the Windows Insider beta program and then in “slow waves” to everyone else—you may want to hold off.

Here are nine reasons you might want to put off a Windows 10 upgrade.

1. Your system can’t run it

This may seem obvious, but sometimes it’s the obvious that gets missed. In order to run Windows 10, you need a PC or tablet with a 1GHz processor or faster, 1GB of RAM for 32-bit machines or 2GB for 64-bit machines, 16GB hard disk space for 32-bit machines or 20GB hard disk space for 64-bit machines, a DirectX 9 or later graphics card with a WDDM 1.0 driver and an 800 x 600 display or better. For more details, go to Microsoft’s Windows 10 specifications page.

If your system doesn’t qualify, then you’re going to have to upgrade your hardware before you upgrade your operating system. (Or just buy a new computer with Windows 10 already installed.)
Read more here.

#2 ·
Possibly the No 1 reason for not upgrading - yet - is that the build that was released to RTM is still very much a "work-in-progress".

A great product for techies, developers and those with the knowledge, skills and time to "play around". But IMHO not a product that is as yet ready for deployment in critical business environments with limited (or non-existent) IT support.

Personally, a cold, snowy, Winter's day over the Christmas holiday season would seem just about the right time to upgrade - if it is not ready by then it never will be. :popcorn:

Viz

#6 ·
Here's a reason. Check this out. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-revert-os,29727.html "Microsoft has stated that even with customer support, some hardware changes will invalidate your free copy of Windows 10 and require you to purchase one. (This limitation does not exist in retail copies of Windows 10; those can be re-used by the user regardless of any hardware changes.)
This changes the possibility of deactivating old activation codes from an irritating problem for some users to a major problem for countless users. Tech enthusiasts stand to be hit hardest by this, as they might change the hardware inside of their systems multiple times a year. Now, these users will have to choose between upgrading a PC part or keeping their free copy of Windows 10."

#7 ·
Do you mean to say now I cannot increase my ddr3 memory of my laptop to 8 gb from 4 gb while I upgraded the windows to 10 ?
it looks like the system needs more memory to function faster.
if increase in memory going to invalidate the upgrade keys what I will do?
I have removed the backup of my windows 8.1. no roll back from this 10
I could not find any contact Microsoft link for asking them this question.

#9 · (Edited)
Windows 10 Retail EULA:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Backup:

You may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes, and may also use that backup copy to transfer the software if it was acquired as stand-alone software

Retail Transfer:

you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else

OEM Transfer:

If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device.

Activation:

When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to confirm the software is genuine and the license is associated with the licensed device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone.

Note that users have had little trouble reactivating Retail Windows 10 when changing motherboard hardware. At most it requires a call to the automatic re-activation line.

OEM Downgrade:

If you acquired a device from a manufacturer or installer with a Professional version of Windows preinstalled on it, you may downgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional version, but only for so long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you.

#10 ·
Looks like it was misinterpreted then. It makes sense if the motherboard was changed to invalidate the license but a call to re-validate the license would have to be made. You would think that since this is possible it has always been possible even if you have ownership of old validation codes. Why is this still falsely reported?

#12 ·
As I mentioned there were instances in the past where an OEM motherboard could be swapped for an upgraded one and validation given over the automatic phone line. However, with newer computers the product key is now embedded in the OEM hardware. I think that MS makes it clear that if Win 10 comes on an OEM machine it's licensed for the machine as long as it has the original motherboard. A new motherboard will probably necessitate a new OS purchase. This is the nice thing about having purchased a retail version or Win 7. I've been upgrading for little or no cost since. I think Win 8 cost me less than $40 and, of course, Win 10 was free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.