Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

30 days to recover previous OS

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  robertbrucejr 
#1 ·
'You have 30 days to rollback to your previous OS, once you have installed W10' Is this true, or is it just a rumor?

This week ghacks quoted a German newspaper stating it as so. They say they were quoting MS. Are they suffering from foot in mouth disease?

A friend of mine who has the W10 Preview build installed said he had seen it there and after 30 days the rollback option disappeared. He had made an image of his previous OS so he was not concerned.

Kinda changes things if the July 29 rollout comes with a 30 day 'trial' period. You have 1 year to decide on the free upgrade, but once installed it will be automatically activated in 30 days or ...

#2 ·
I have not heard of any such thing, personally.

It is always a best practice to backup your system before starting a operating system upgrade, in any event.

To your last point, when you do "upgrade to Windows 10" the activation is more or less automatic at that time.

#3 ·
From all the available information I have read also, this has not been mentioned previously.
The ability to do a clean install of W10 and revert back to a previous OS is an option with no time constraints, assuming only the one OS is valid at any one time and the key used is valid for that OS.

#4 ·
For anyone interested in this unconfirmed report, here's the ghacks article: Computerbase: you have 30 days to downgrade Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News
Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users who upgrade their machines to Microsoft's upcoming operating system Windows 10 have 30 days to downgrade to the old system again according to German computer magazine Computerbase.

What happens when you upgrade your PC running an earlier version of Windows 10 and you don't like it or did so in error? That's one of several questions that Computerbase answers in a new post on its website.

According to information posted on its website, users will be able to do so for 30 days. The license of the old operating system is transferred to the new which means that it will become invalid but is transferred back in the 30-day grace period when a user decides to downgrade to the previous version of Windows.

#9 ·
Hi, I have been away for a few days. It would be nice to get an official statement from MS as it could take a lot of people by surprise if it turns out to be true.

My friend sent me two links where a MS-MVP on MS answers replied on two separate posts saying you have to rollback within 30 days. Am I allowed to post those 2 links here?

Also, another poster on a different forum I came across said that a reliable source at a reputable OEM, said that it only will apply to OEMs. The OEM was in talks with MS and it was agreed to. She does not name the OEM and says nothing has been published by that OEM to date. Not sure it is worth linking to this one, unless you want me to. Be glad to do it though if it is allowed.

#14 ·
Andre Da Costa said:
NOTE: Please be aware the Windows.old folder located at the root of the local disk where Windows 10 is installed will be deleted after 30 days automatically. The Windows.old folder is used to facilitate the rollback. So please perform any rollback within 30 days or this option will no longer be available. Otherwise, create a backup before upgrading to Windows 10.
Your answer about 30 days to recover previous OS provided by Andre Da Costa, mod of answers.microsoft.comSee answer here.

#16 ·
MS has confirmed that after 30 days the ability to rollback using the restore function in W10 is removed. However your license for the previous OS is not taken away at the end of the 30 day period. This allows you to restore a full backup image of your previous OS back onto your PC with its original license as many times as you want in the first year. If you did not make a backup, you will need a W7 or W8 installation disc or ISO from MS and you will have to install all your apps again. You will need to know your product key to get the previous OS activated. This can be troublesome with OEM licenses, so make a backup on external media to avoid the aggravation.

I have also read that a BIOS flash in between upgrading and downgrading can lead to activation issues. So if you plan to continually try W10 during the free upgrade period, it is best not to flash the BIOS at anytime during that period.

#18 ·
yes folks you have 30 days to keep windows 10 or revert back to your previous os.you can find the info here..click settings then click update and security,then click recovery,and 2nd option clearly states you have 1 month to decide to keep windows10.after that your previous
os will be deleted when the first updates are scheduled.so before you delete windows 10 give it the 30 days and keep learning it.you won't regret it.good luck friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.