Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

How Colleges Are Responding to Demands That They Become ‘Sanctuary Campuses’

This is a discussion on How Colleges Are Responding to Demands That They Become ‘Sanctuary Campuses’ within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

How Colleges Are Responding to Demands That They Become ‘Sanctuary Campuses’

How Colleges Are Responding to Demands That They Become ‘Sanctuary Campuses’ - The Chronicle of Higher Education

==========================================================================================
OK, let's play devils advocate here! So lets say, just for the sake of argument that I'm all in favor of sanctuary colleges. After all, sanctuary cities have protected the lawful citizens so well by way of an example! To whit:

Trump to publicize crimes by illegal immigrants in ‘sanctuary cities’ | New York Post

300 'Sanctuary Cities' blocked deportation of 17,000 illegal criminals | Washington Examiner

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/sanc...al-aliens-2016

OK, new college rules effective immediately:

1. All students will henceforth only be identified by a student number, and shall not have any document with a name or photo which would potentially identify them in terms of criminal history, gender identification, immigration status, race, national origin or religious affiliation.

2. Next thing, we remove all door locks from dorm rooms, and all car keys must be kept in the ignition of unlocked cars.

3. No items such as computers, phones or cash and other valuables may be locked, secured or hidden in any way.

4. A lottery draw will appoint a student patrol squad which will be responsible for maintaining order and it must at least proportionally represent the ratio of *FREE* students and paid students, for the sake of fairness.

5. Illegal aliens (oops sorry, undocumented students) are considered a "disadvantaged & protected class," and can now attend classes for free!

6. American students must pay double to make up for the losses in tuition and textbook revenue. You know, just like ordinary US taxpayers have to foot the bill for public education, welfare and free medical care for illegals (oops again - UNDOCUMENTED persons).

7. Just to make it extra fair, all grade point averages will now be reduced to a solid 2.5 with no exceptions, in response to the real or perceived educational deficits and language barriers historically inflicted upon the "protected class."

Now that sounds fair, according to these snowflakes! So, which student group is this again, DEMANDING the creation of 'Sanctuary Campuses? Oh, it must be the ones in the campus day-care center - ? Or perhaps not....

The United States of America is a democratic republic governed by rule of law.

For example:

Is it a felony to be an illegal immigrant?
==========================================
Illegal Immigration is a Crime. Each year the Border Patrol apprehends hundreds of thousands of aliens who flagrantly violate our nation's laws by unlawfully crossing U.S. borders. Such illegal entry is a misdemeanor, and, if repeated after being deported, becomes punishable as a felony.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

Amended:
1990—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 101–649, § 543(b)(2), inserted “or attempts to enter” after “(1) enters” and “attempts to enter or” after “or (3)”, and substituted “shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined not more than $2,000 (or, if greater, the amount provided under title 18) or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years” for “shall, for the first commission of any such offenses, be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof be punished by imprisonment for not more than six months, or by a fine of not more than $500, or by both, and for a subsequent commission of any such offenses shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than two years, or by a fine of not more than $1,000”.

Hmmm, that means that ANYONE caught again after an initial deportation for illegal entry is now a FELON, and subject to immediate deportation! I wonder how many of those are yet to be found??

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Wizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Your premise is flawed . . who is demanding that colleges become sanctuaries?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Your premise is flawed . . who is demanding that colleges become sanctuaries?
A quick search would answer that question.

edit: Or, alternatively click one of his links.
kendallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post

edit: Or, alternatively click one of his links.
You are kidding right???

Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

not at all.
I can't think of any valid reasons not to inspect the evidence your 'opponent' in a debate uses to support a statement.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

He is not an opponent . . Just has a different perspective than I do.

I learned long ago not to click on links to radical publications which are only seeking to increase visibility . .

Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

op·po·nent
[əˈpōnənt]
NOUN

someone who competes against or fights another in a contest, game, or argument; a rival or adversary:
"he beat his opponent by a landslide margin"
synonyms: rival · adversary · opposer · (the) opposition · fellow contestant · [more]
a person who disagrees with or resists a proposal or practice:
"an opponent of the economic reforms"
synonyms: opposer · objector · dissenter · dissident

dis·a·gree
[ˌdisəˈɡrē]
VERB

have or express a different opinion:
"no one was willing to disagree with him" · [more]
synonyms: take issue with · challenge · contradict · oppose · be at variance with · [more]
(of statements or accounts) be inconsistent or fail to correspond:
"results that disagree with the findings reported so far"
synonyms: differ · be dissimilar · be different · vary · diverge · contradict each other · [more]

per·spec·tive
[pərˈspektiv]
NOUN

the art of drawing solid objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the right impression of their height, width, depth, and position in relation to each other when viewed from a particular point: See also linear perspective and aerial perspective.
"a perspective drawing"
a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view:
"most guidebook history is written from the editor's perspective"
synonyms: outlook · view · viewpoint · point of view · POV · standpoint · position · [more]
an apparent spatial distribution in perceived sound.

As I said, I can't think of any valid reasons not to inspect the evidence your 'opponent' in a debate uses to support a statement.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Quote:
As I said, I can't think of any valid reasons not to inspect the evidence your 'opponent' in a debate uses to support a statement.
Well . . You are certainly welcome to go ahead then . . I can think of many reasons not to, and will not!

Old 02-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As for universities sanctuaries, the lists I've seen only have a couple that are private universities, the rest are state. So what's done will be primarily up to the states.
Though as non-profit/not for profit, that do receive federal aid or grants in some form or other, they are walking a twisty path.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Such is the fervor around “sanctuary” anything these days. One side is pushing for sanctuary protections and the other is fighting to punish groups that make sanctuary declarations. The actual purpose of “sanctuaries,” particularly sanctuary campuses, is far less clear. Do they provide any more protection to undocumented students? And do universities that aren’t sanctuary campuses provide any less?

The answer to both questions is probably no. The symbolic nature of a sanctuary campus may provide comfort but from a legal and practical standpoint, experts suggest, sanctuary campuses do very little. LINKY
bold added

Much a-do about nothing. All "sanctuary" means is that local cops (campus or municipal in the case of sanctuary cities) will not enforce certain federal law. It's really no different than a sheriff in CO not arresting someone for marijuana.

Quote:
“The problem is sort of in general people think [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] has extraordinary powers that aren’t the same as those of law enforcement and if they come to you and say, ‘you’re here illegally’ that they might think ‘oh I do have to turn people over,’” Blanco said. “It’s important that it be enunciated that they will not.” ibid
Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Exactly.
A lot of it is 'feel good' propaganda/political double speak, it's a way to pay lip service without actually committing oneself.
It sure sounds good when you say "we will not allow our campus police enforce immigration laws", but in truth all you're saying is 'it was never our job, we never did it, So why should we start now?'
Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Quote:
A lot of it is 'feel good' propaganda/political double speak
Lot of that going on right now!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
He is not an opponent . . Just has a different perspective than I do.

I learned long ago not to click on links to radical publications which are only seeking to increase visibility . .

The links cited were deliberately chosen for NOT being "radical" or demonstrably "Right Wing" publications to avoid just this ignorant bias. There were literally hundreds of supporting links I could have cited, from all ranges of the political spectrum, but I "erred" on the side of brevity. One of the three was an official government information source!

I choose to research all references to a particular topic, and make my own conclusions from a position of reasoned consideration. It is those who refuse to do so and challenge their set beliefs that I have a problem with.

"Don't confuse me with facts, as I have already made up my mind" - This is what has put US society in the quagmire it finds itself in. The refusal to even consider a differing point-of-view is not reasonable and smacks of total arrogance. Prove me wrong by the preponderance of evidence and I can and will re-assess my view.

So far, nothing has persuaded me that my view on this matter is not justified, but I'm open to the calm and polite discussion of the relevant FACTS. From what I have gleaned so far, it is "radical student organizations" that are DEMANDING the "sanctuary campuses" be instituted. Some have succeeded already in forcing their radical beliefs on certain colleges!

The law is the law, and should be enforced without fear or favor. Don't like it, change it within the structure provided. If you want to have compassion, then have it for lawful citizens, not illegal invaders! That includes NOT legislating from the bench like some strategically placed "activist judges" are attempting to do. Judges should ENFORCE the laws, not interpret or change them to suit their political view!

The Constitution is the ultimate law of the land. Enforce it to the letter unless/until it is amended in the legally prescribed manner!

The 14th Amendment was ONLY created to give citizenship to the emancipated slaves of the 1860's. It should have no application in the current climate of runaway illegal immigration. No one's grandfather is today a slave owner in the US, except perhaps the employers exploiting illegal immigrants for low wages and maximum profit! You know, like the California (and other) legislators and celebrities or companies, who seem to all be employing illegals as crop harvesters, gardeners, maids or whatever.... Yeah, those honorable people!

Old 02-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Nice blathering, but you never answered the question . . Who is Demanding that Universities become ‘Sanctuary Campuses’ . . and what is the significance if they were to become one?

Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Answer: No one is demanding it . . it makes for a nice headline and rantbait.

and, there would be no significance to being a "Sanctuary" since nothing would be done differently than it is now.

But it does make for good sensationalism . .

Old 02-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Nice blathering, but you never answered the question . . Who is Demanding that Universities become ‘Sanctuary Campuses’ . . and what is the significance if they were to become one?

I so beg to differ Rich:

"So far, nothing has persuaded me that my view on this matter is not justified, but I'm open to the calm and polite discussion of the relevant FACTS. From what I have gleaned so far, it is "radical student organizations" that are DEMANDING the "sanctuary campuses" be instituted. Some have succeeded already in forcing their radical beliefs on certain colleges!"

Now, can we argue that failure to enforce the law of the land is in direct conflict with oaths of office - to support and defend the Constitution and laws of the state and locality, that most law enforcement officers take?

Hmm, now that's a nasty gotcha! I can quote oaths of office for law enforcement officers for many large and small communities accross the US if you wish. Many state constitutions also bind the US Constitution's rights, protections and privileges into their own.

OK, so what part of failure to enforce the laws of the land, regardless of any local jurisdiction do you not understand? Sanctuary ANYTHINGS have declared themselves separate and apart from the Constitution and all its rights, protections and privileges, thus endangering those rights, protections and privileges of their native citizenry. How does that not offend your sense of fairness?

What if your child was Kathryn Steinle, Sarah Root, Drew Rosenburg, Grant Ronnebeck, Tessa Tranchant, 16, Shayley Estes or hundreds of others? Would that change your entrenched beliefs?? I expect a polite and reasoned factual discussion of this issue. Kathryn Steinle's murderer was a FIVE TIMES deported, illegal returnee who was "protected" by a "sanctuary city" - San Francisco!

Examples of Serious Crimes By Illegal Aliens

Over to you Rich....

Old 02-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post
Now, can we argue that failure to enforce the law of the land is in direct conflict with oaths of office - to support and defend the Constitution and laws of the state and locality, that most law enforcement officers take?
For all federal employees, the oath is ..."to Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States from All Enemies Foreign and Domestic." Notice it says nothing about enforcing any law.

More importantly when Trump or anyone else claims his job is to protect the citizens he's mistaken. His job - the one he swore to do to the best of his ability - is to protect and defend the Constitution. While nuanced, there is a difference. It's the Constitution that protects the citizenry - not elected officials. In fact, the Constitution protects us FROM elected officials.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Quote:
You are driving . . shift gears as often as you wish . .

But my answer holds . . No one is demanding it . . it makes for a nice headline and rantbait.

and, there would be no significance to being a "Sanctuary" since nothing would be done differently than it is now.

But it does make for good sensationalism . .

Now . . argue anything g you wish!

Old 02-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
For all federal employees, the oath is ..."to Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States from All Enemies Foreign and Domestic." Notice it says nothing about enforcing any law.

Wait a minute! Is not any law breaker a "domestic enemy" of the public's safety and well-being? You lost me there. Weren't several notorious DOMESTIC criminals, Al Capone, Bonnie & Clyde come to mind, designated as "public enemies?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
More importantly when Trump or anyone else claims his job is to protect the citizens he's mistaken. His job - the one he swore to do to the best of his ability - is to protect and defend the Constitution. While nuanced, there is a difference. It's the Constitution that protects the citizenry - not elected officials. In fact, the Constitution protects us FROM elected officials.

The US Constitution surely didn't PROTECT anyone (except maybe illegal aliens and potential terrorists/sympathizers, who HAVE NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS) FROM the elected officials and law enforcement under the previous 8-year "regime!" Let's see, selective IRS persecution of certain LEGAL, but opposing political organizations, total abdication and neglect for the safety of law enforcement officers, outright and reprehensible justification/sanction/promotion of violent protests...

I'll stop there, though I could go on much further. The blatant encouragement/sanction/complicity with violent protests continues, even now after vacating the post of POTUS!

How did the Constitution protect the private property and businesses in any of the numerous violent riots in the last 8 years, and continuing to escalate unabated presently? Am I missing something here? Any "foreign combatants" who may evade detection and enter the country become enemies, domestic don't they? Inquiring minds want to know....

Old 02-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Wait a minute! Is not any law breaker a "domestic enemy" of the public's safety and well-being?
No, running a red light on a motorcycle when the laws say you can't at 1am when the lights are pressure sensitive and there is LITERALLY no other vehicles on the road at the time does not make me a domestic enemy or a threat to public safety...
Drew1369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanctuary campus, student demands