Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

A brilliant plan

This is a discussion on A brilliant plan within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Trump weighs mobilizing Nat Guard for immigration roundups Let's deport all 11 million illegals.....pronto. Actually the states involved amount to

Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Administrator
TSF Manager

Trump weighs mobilizing Nat Guard for immigration roundups

Let's deport all 11 million illegals.....pronto. Actually the states involved amount to ~half of the illegals.

Brilliant strategy......if you want to cripple the country and economy. Agricultural products will spike in price.......if you are lucky to find them. Produce will become scarce as crops are left in the fields to rot. Don't worry about the farmers who lose farms......they will find a way to survive on welfare. Meats will also spike in price as workers can't be found to run the processing plants.......and don't forget about those pesky farmers who will become bankrupt.

We can delve into almost all blue-collar sectors and see that deporting illegals will have an impact on the prices we will have to pay as services become scarce and commodities will not be able to keep up with demand.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Vetustior Humo

My step-father, who's to the right of Attila the Hun and lives just north of Atlanta, finally admitted that without illegal labor the Atlanta Olympics would never have been accomplished.

Of course that didn't change his mind.

Too typical; if we do it it's OK. If they do it, it's not OK.

I wonder if Trump will deport the dish-washers from Mar-a-Lago LINK
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

There are few farming operations that are labor intensive these days,
The hundreds of people swinging scythes and potato forks to bring in the harvest have all been replaced by two or three people driving combines and trucks, doing the same work those hundreds did in a day in 20 minutes.
Pretty much the only thing that is still done by hand is picking fruit. Then primarily when it is intended to be sold as fresh fruit and appearance is a prime concern. If it's intended to be processed, many places use mechanical means of harvesting.
kendallt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

This looks pretty automated....

Meat packing plants?? Not so pleasant and is monotonous as well as done manually.

Let's move on.......

Housing and vacant units. You suddenly have 5 million units available for rent.....the former occupants have been deported. That market is going to crash...owners will be stuck paying taxes on empty properties. Of course, this will be a boon to scrappers who quickly move in to glean anything of value before the next guy beats him to it. Houses get boarded up......owner/occupants leave (often taking a loss due to decreased property values). The 'slum lords' cut their losses and walk away......leaving the tax bill to the city as well as the cost of renovation or demolition. Then we have no responsible homeowners keeping watch as the neighborhood crumbles.....drug houses spring up left and right as another, once viable, area perishes.

I have seen this happen first-hand.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Let's move on.......

Housing and vacant units. You suddenly have 5 million units available for rent.....the former occupants have been deported. That market is going to crash...owners will be stuck paying taxes on empty properties. Of course, this will be a boon to scrappers who quickly move in to glean anything of value before the next guy beats him to it. Houses get boarded up......owner/occupants leave (often taking a loss due to decreased property values). The 'slum lords' cut their losses and walk away......leaving the tax bill to the city as well as the cost of renovation or demolition. Then we have no responsible homeowners keeping watch as the neighborhood crumbles.....drug houses spring up left and right as another, once viable, area perishes.

I have seen this happen first-hand.
The Law of Unintended Consequences

I ask this of my "Build the Wall" friends: after they are all deported and your life still sucks, who are you going to blame then?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
The Law of Unintended Consequences

I ask this of my "Build the Wall" friends: after they are all deported and your life still sucks, who are you going to blame then?
The consequences will not be pleasant. Tell your "build the wall" friends to hold on tight....this will be a ride they won't enjoy.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
There are few farming operations that are labor intensive these days,
The hundreds of people swinging scythes and potato forks to bring in the harvest have all been replaced by two or three people driving combines and trucks, doing the same work those hundreds did in a day in 20 minutes.
Pretty much the only thing that is still done by hand is picking fruit. Then primarily when it is intended to be sold as fresh fruit and appearance is a prime concern. If it's intended to be processed, many places use mechanical means of harvesting.
Then what is it that you think these folks are doing here?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Are any of you able to understand the difference between 'few' and 'none'?

Just to be helpful:

few
[fyo͞o]
DETERMINER

(a few)
a small number of:
"may I ask a few questions?" · [more]
synonyms: a small number · a handful · one or two · a couple · two or three · [more]
used to emphasize how small a number of people or things is:
"he had few friends" · [more]
synonyms: scarce · scant · meager · insufficient · in short supply · [more]

NOUN

(the few)
the minority of people; the elect:
"a world that increasingly belongs to the few"
synonyms: a small number · a handful · one or two · a couple · two or three · [more]

none1
[nən]
PRONOUN

not any:
"none of you want to work" · [more]
synonyms: not one · not a (single) one · no part · not a bit · not any

ADVERB

(none the)
by no amount; not at all:
"it is made none the easier by the differences in approach"
In the

I'll leave it up to you to determine the meaning of 'pretty much', and just for fun, do a search for mechanical lettuce harvesters while you're at it.

In modern farming the actual physical labor aspect, as in using your hands to pick something, is a very small part of the entire operation.
It does exist, but not as much as it did even 20 years ago, and nowhere is it at levels to cause starvation and cripple the economy.

The reason most farms use migrant workers is because the migrant workers are cheaper to employ. People always talk about a 'living wage', but they seem to have a blind spot when it comes to farm workers.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
.. and nowhere is it at levels to cause starvation and cripple the economy.

The reason most farms use migrant workers is because the migrant workers are cheaper to employ. People always talk about a 'living wage', but they seem to have a blind spot when it comes to farm workers.
Seems contradictory. If labor is such a small part of farming costs then why do farms not pay a living wage.

Oh yeah, greed.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Do you really need to ask why people choose the lowest cost option?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #11
Administrator
TSF Manager

Ok.....first one that came up when searching mechanical lettuce harvester. Looks very impressive......moving right along and harvesting the crop lickety-split. You better stop at ~1:25 unless you want to see that the harvesting process is still labor intensive.

Everything agricultural around me is mechanical.......but none of the product is headed to the grocer's as fresh. Corn and soy beans mainly......sometimes wheat is grown.

Anyhow.....I watched many mechanical harvesters on YouTube. The one thing they all seemed to have in common is the crop was destined to be processed and sold as frozen or canned. The exceptions would be root crops. If you like fresh produce the odds are high that cheap immigrant farm labor played a 'Yuge' part.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #12
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

You did not answer the question . . just where do you think all these folk are working?

Old 02-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

The primary employers here are the cattle ranches in Central and South Texas. The Valley also employs thousands for the veggies that are grown down there. Here in Houston, it is primarily the service industries where casual unskilled labor needs cannot be filled otherwise. Take away the undocumented and half the restaurants and most of the lawn services would be out of business!

If they want to do at with undocumented workers, start putting the folks who employ them in jail and the problem is over in a heartbeat!. But that goes against the GOP practice of punishing the lowest offender in the chain!