Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows update

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  shipboard 
#1 ·
I am having problems with Win update on my HP laptop.

Sys Specs HP Pavillion Laptop
OS Win 8.1 64bit
4 GB RAM
AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) Graphics

When trying to update, the update search is running continually when I search manually, and the Automatic update setting appears not to be working. When I run the update troubleshooter which I have done several times it always has to repair a corrupted file which is a different file every time. After the file has been repaired I then switch off the Win firewall and I am able to download the updates, the next time updates are available I have to go through the same routine again.

I have tried several solutions to repair this problem, run a sfc scan that come up clean, tried booting into safe mode, tried a system restore to an earlier date, run a couple of clean up and restore health scripts in the command prompt to no avail.

As the laptop came with the system installed I do not have an OS disc, however I notice windows has a Win 8.1 ISO for my particular system my thought was to download it and run a system repair from the disc is this possible? I have the Activation Number which I extracted from the BIOS.

If at all possible I want to try and avoid using the System refresh or the restore to factory default options. I would of course welcome any other advice from the forum on this problem.

Thanks.

shipboard.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Which Anti-Virus please

Additionally although it will most definitely be useful to have the Windows 8.1 download - create media, which is an ISO and can then be made to a DVD - there is nothing on the install media - in respect of this error - that cannot generally be done - when you can access the system.

If the system file check recommended on the post above returns that some errors could not be repaired, then REBOOT and run it again - twice more rebooting after each

That cmd must be run from a cmd prompt with admin rights
On Windows 8.1 right click the white microsoft symbol - icon lower left on taskbar and click Command Prompt admin

then run the sfc /scannow

If on the third run it still returns errors go back to the cmd and run this
It is best to copy and paste as spacing is critical

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

See what that returns please

HOWEVER as I said - which AV please

AND I notice that you have infact on your opening post already run a system file check

run a sfc scan that come up clean,

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply guys. As stated in my original post I have carried out a sfc scan which came up clean and I have run both the Dism script scan health, and restore health, in the command prompt. My AV is AVG Free edition, I might add I have tried to update with the AV off but still encounter the same problem.

shipboard.

#9 ·
To completely eliminate the possible cause being AVG
I would recommend its uninstall using Control Panel Programs and Features and then reboot
Then run the AVG tool
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

then reboot, ensure Windows Defender is running and updated
and try again, if necessary running the update troubleshooter

I would then for the purpose of testing stay with Windows defender and check again how things are on the next offered updates

The reason I suggest this action is that simply disabling the AVG in the GUI of the program does not stop aspects of it still running

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.