Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Trying" To Turn Off Windows Update

SOLVED 
1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Labrat0116 
#1 ·
Windows 8.1 on a very small laptop. 2GB RAM. 32GB SSD.

This laptop keeps Downloading something from Windows Update and continually fails during the install.

As a result, it then needs to Uninstall the failed Update and Reboot the laptop.

The problem is it takes this laptop about 1 HOUR to do this. In the meantime, the laptop is unusable and held hostage.

I went into Windows Update. Clicked (from the drop down Menu) NEVER download or install Windows Updates. I think Clicked the "OK" button.

At the point, a Windows pop-up window appears which says.... "Please log in with Administrator's Account etc....

There are only (2) Accounts on this laptop. ME (Administrator Account) and the Guest Account. Since I'm using MY laptop there is never a need to sign in to the Guest Account. Obviously.

So why does Windows NOT know that the Administrator Account is Active and allow me to make the change to Windows Update menu ?

TIA

See less See more
#3 ·
That's what I was thinking as well.

I don't really need Windows 10 on this laptop. I use it mainly for surfing and writing only.

There is that 4 square Windows icon down on the lower rightside of the toolbar. How do I totally disable the Windows 10 Update and remove that icon.

Also, I don't really have the space on this 32GB SSD drive for Windows 10.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.