Store won't open

4K views 49 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
sony laptop va10 Win 8 64 bit
Store will not open after much trying. Can't seem to access Updates either
My objective is to convert to Win 8,1

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Let me restate my problem a bit more helpfully.
I am using M/softs "Update to Win 8.1 from Win 8. I sign on with ...Live.com. I fall at the !st hurdle. meaning where it says "Get the free
update". and go to start screen and click Store There is no Store in the start screen but I find its icon another way, But what ever I do Store will not open.
Other funnies: msconfig can't be found by Win. also system restore won't open and New UI App troubleshooter won't open. I am set to Auto updates and have received the updates. My goal is to finally install free Win 10 on this laptop but I have to get past Win 8 first. Just as a matter of interest, I installed Win 10 from Win 7 on my own Pc - piece of proverbial cake.

#4 ·
If you have Windows 8 you can update to Windows 10 without installing 8.1 first.
Go to Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.

At the end of that, if it says it couldn't fix all files, then download and run SFCFix.exe. After that is done, run SFC /scannow again.

#7 ·
In the Search Box, type CMD. Above that, is the search results, Right Click CMD in the Search Results.
Another way to get to the Command Prompt is by going to All Apps/Windows System and Right click Command Prompt icon there,

Try Enabling the Hidden Built in Administrator account. Log out as you, and log in as the Built in Administrator. See if everything works now. If so, your User Profile has become corrupted. How to Fix A Corrupt User Profile in Windows 10 Create a new User Account and copy your personal files to it and use that account

#8 · (Edited)
Firstly spunk .funk many thanks for your assistance.
Sadly, nothing works for me in my quest to update Win 8 to Win 8.1 and on to Win 10.
The Recovery tools not working was the last straw for me in trying to fix a major problem with my Win 8 installation. I am now looking at Reformatting the Hard disc (wipe clean). I have no installation discs for Win 8 but I do have Win 7 Home Premium DVD. It seems it may be cost effective to load Win 7 and thus to Win 10. I would appreciate comment on my approach.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Ok spunk funk. As a matter off interest, the recovery data for this computer is contained on a partition on the hard disc. One has to make up a set of recovery discs. This Sony laptop came with win 8 installed by the retailer. I cannot see an actual Win product key sticker on it. Because Win 8 on this laptop shows major faults, I would think they need to be remedied before attempting an upgrade.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Spunk Funk. I am not religious but I find myself praying that you will not give up on my problem. At the moment you are my link to digital sanity:dance:
In my next post I will update you on the results, or lack of, following the links you provided in your last post. Please standby ( I used to be a Ham operator.)
Can't you tell

#17 ·
1/ Restore "C" to original factory settings. (A complete hard disc drive Recovery.) To eliminate the Recovery Partition, start up with the VA10 Recovery media kit on 3 DVD+1 discs inserted.
2/ Creating Recovery media kit. Control Panel and click Performance and Maintenance. P and M not found even switched to category view as recommended.
3/ I could not access the VA10 Recovery wizard from the media kit as I couldn't create same
More next post

#18 ·
Tried the assist button. Brings up VA10 Care/Rescue Mode
It has: 1/ Recover and maintain your system (F10). You can recover your computer if the system becomes unstable. After asking for language an keyboard type, it goes on to "use a device ,usb drive, network connection" and that's it
2/ Start from media (usb device, optical disc. Click on it and you get EFI usb device , then goes update system .0 to 100% steps. Then configures Windows features 100% complete, Don't turn off your computer-this command stays unchanging forever. The Bios setup was useful but
nothing amiss.
Tried Refresh. -"Windows could not access C:/ Windows\system 32\Recovery drive. exe -network error". Then in Action Centre - no results
No break throughs that I could see

#19 ·
Just now, after checking things, I turned on the laptop and got
" Windows couldn't load correctly"
"Preparing automatic repair"
"Diagnosing your pc."
Then, System Restore can try to restore your pc to an earlier point in time,
when it wprked correctly. This repair will not change personal data but might remove some Apps that were installed recently.You cannot undo this process.
I clicked Restore and I have a screen showing only VA10.It has stayed that way unchanging I turned the pc off and on again and after a long wait, windows started. The I got VA10 Control centre ( vim module has stopped working. Windows is collecting more information about the problem . This may take several minutes Next I got "Do you want to send more information about this problem? "( to help Microsoft create a solution). Then-files that describe the problem - C:Users\Merle\AppData\local\Temp\WER89F8.tmp.hdmp
I get a separate popup Headed' VA10 Update' which has been around on the desktop for some time. It Say " Your VA10 must restart for the installation to complete. I clicked Restart now and screen shows VA10 and then Windows starts.
I am trying to give you all the info I can Spunk Funk - sorry if it is overload.

#20 ·
There is something inherently wrong with this Win 8 installation. Time for some drastic solutions. What do you think of these?
1/ If I can completely wipe HDD, I could load my OEM Win 7 and then to free Win 10
2/ Buy copy of Win 10 and load onto completely wiped HDD or a new HDD.
3/ Fit new HDD and load OEM Win 7 and then free Win 10
4/ Buy a new laptop Ioaded with Win 10. Heaven forbid!:confused:

#21 ·
If the Sony Care and Rescue did not restore the computer to Factory Defaults, and you did not create a Recovery Disc when you got your computer as per the instructions, then you can get a Sony Recovery Disc Here: https://sony.encompass.com/staticpages/Sony_RDVD
As for your other options, you cannot load an OEM disc unless it is specifically for this computer. OEM discs have drivers specific to that computers hardware in them. If this OEM disc is for this computer, load it and in Drive Options, delete all partitions and let Windows make the partitions and format them during the Windows Install. Then you can do the free Upgrade to Windows 10.
Better yet, download the Windows 10 ISO image, and burn it using the Microsoft Tool to USB or DVD. You may need to update from Windows 7 first
You certainly can Buy a copy of Windows 10 and wipe the drive and load it, you would use it's product key.
You can buy a new HDD but this is totally unnecessary unless your old HDD is not functioning properly.
To find out, Download the ISO image file of Seatools, burn it to CD using IMGBurn or to USB Flash drive with SeaFlash, all available in my signature. Boot off of the newly created media and run the Short and Long Diagnostic tests on the HDD, if it passes all tests, then you do not need a new HDD. If it fails either test, the HDD needs to be replaced.
If you just can't deal with all of this, and you are independently wealthy, you certainly can buy a new laptop with Windows 10 on it.

#25 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.