Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Keyboards Will Work. Very Strange Issue.

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  powermonkey500 
#1 · (Edited)
Usually I can fix just about anything on my own, but this issue has left me completely dumbfounded. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro. Here are the symptoms:
  • For a while, a lot of the time I turned on my computer, a random key would be held down. Usually this was the number 7 or the control key. It would keep this key held until I rebooted, often multiple times.
  • Now, I have to reboot my computer multiple times (quite a few, up to 20 times) to get the keyboard to work at all. It will not take input at all. Not even the on-screen keyboard will work. It just freezes when I click a key on it. This goes for all keyboards. If I continue to mash keys, it will eventually type one or two characters but that's it. The fact that this applies to all keyboard, including the on-screen keyboard, makes me firmly believe there is something larger at play than drivers or something.
  • Keyboards work fine in safe mode, and in other operating systems (loading up live linux CDs etc). They also work fine in the BIOS.
  • I have tried multiple keyboard drivers (and keyboards), to no avail.
  • I have tried uninstalling / re-installing all usb devices / hubs in device manager, to no avail.
  • I have scrutinized the system event log and remedied all errors. My system event log is error-free.
  • I have ran a chkdsk, no errors.
  • I have run an sfc /scannow, no errors or corruption found.
  • I have tried the keyboard on multiple USB ports, including ones on an additional PCI-E card.
  • I have tried disabling all startup items and all non-Microsoft services.
  • I have tried disabling unnecessary Microsoft services.
  • I have checked that filter keys is disabled.
Any ideas? :angry::angry:

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
Have you tried completely powering down your system by turning off the power at the PSU then waiting 30 seconds or so until the motherboard LEDs go out? Sometimes hardware needs a complete power cycle (not just a soft off, which is what the front panel "power" button does) to reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.