Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Works A Few Hours Then "Err-Timed-Out".. Only A Restart Fixes It

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
It's all in the title really.. The internet works fine as soon as I startup but after about 1 to 2 hours I get the message "Err-Timed-Out" on every page I visit.. except, worth noting maybe, if I'm watching a YouTube video it'll still play and load up but trying to visit other sites I get the error. Anyway, after I restart the pc, the internet works fine again... for another 1 or 2 hours.

I tried a number of fixes after searching online..
* editing host file to delete any sites.
* doing the ipconfig /flushdns /renew (etc..) through the command prompt.
* disabling Anti-Virus
* disabling AdBlock (on chrome)
* running Spybot
* cleaning registry using CCleaner.
* cleaned using Malwarebytes

Pretty certain it's not a router/network issue because my tablet still connects to the internet fine.

Any help would be really appreciated, it's been happening everyday for weeks now so I'm almost getting used to having to restart every hour or 2 but another concern is if the problem could get worse and the internet might stop altogether?

See less See more
#9 ·
Re: Internet Works A Few Hours Then "Err-Timed-Out".. Only A Restart Fixes It

have you tried rebooting the modem?
I switching off and turning back on a few times over the past few weeks but no joy

Something strange has happened this morning now.. I might need to start a different thread.. My Win 8 profile no longer loads up when I enter my password.. instead of loading it says "preparing windows" and then t opens up a temp profile and asks me to "try the other profile again later"..

#11 ·

Your User Profile has become corrupted: Fix corrupt profile in Windows 8
I just restarted again and somehow it seems to have fixed itself.. it works today when logging in but yesterday several login attempts all failed and it created that temp profile. Thanks for the info, I'll use if it reoccurs. Any idea how it fixed itself?

I still have the internet issue though.. are there any further suggestions out there? I'd like to get this thing fixed.

My computer also runs much slower than it used to, it seems to have slowed down a lot over this month.. cleaning with spybot, malwarebytes and ccleaner + defrag proved ineffective. Might just be age but I'd love to speed it up if I can.

#12 ·

Run Check Disk on the drive.
Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter, now type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup. It will take a while. This will check for bad sectors on your drive, which may be the cause of your problem.

#13 ·

Run Check Disk on the drive.
Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter, now type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup. It will take a while. This will check for bad sectors on your drive, which may be the cause of your problem.
Thanks a lot... I'll give that a try now and hope for the best!

#15 ·
bit more info... i just downloaded whatsapp for pc.. when the err-timed-out issue happens it also effects that.. it says no internet connection... the strange thing is whenever the error happens i can still visit youtube videos and play them. they stream ok...but every other site gets timed out.. as does the whatsapp program which isnt a browser.

#18 ·

Boot into the the Setup Mode of your Router and check the WAN settings (the settings for your Internet Service Provider) and make sure they are correct with your ISP's documentation. How do I adjust the settings of my home router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.