Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead keys on Keyboard - Lenovo laptop

SOLVED 
12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ybdnp 
#1 ·
So I've been asked to give my Mom a hand with her laptop. It's a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13, though the website seems to drop or parenthesize the IdeaPad part of that, running a 64 bit version of Windows 8.1

Two keys aren't working, the F12/increase screen brightness key and the PrintScreen key. (This is why we just discovered it, no idea when the error cropped up.) I've found workarounds for all of the things the keys do - brightness can be adjusted in Power Options, and the F12 and PrintScreen functions can both be duplicated using the on screen keyboard function. But they're kinda annoying and cumbersome, and the error may be symptomatic of a larger problem.

I've tried rebooting the computer and cleaning the keyboard thus far, to no avail (though it is using one of these stupid new chiclet keyboard styles, which makes popping off keys and cleaning the actually functional part of the keyboard impossible through the normal, convenient method I've used in the past.)

The keyboard was replaced relatively recently, and I will be getting in touch with the gentleman who handled that when his store is open tomorrow. I'll also be checking with the official tech support people at Lenovo, but I find this and other fora are usually much better at cutting through that ploddingly systematic approach that big tech support divisions use and finding the real problem in a reasonable timeframe. If either of these resources pays off, I'll post the solution here as well.

Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can head over to Keyboard Tester and test each key. If the keyboard is failing, chances are there are more than just one dead key. If all keys are registering a press, but they do not perform a function they are supposed to, such as brightness control, it could be a drivers/software issue. You mentioned the keyboard being a recent replacement. What happened to the first (original) keyboard? Did the laptop suffer a liquid spillage? The problem history could give us perspective.

#3 ·
It's a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13,
Keyboard replacements are usually really easy and they are usually cheap.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ove-and-replace-Yoga-13-keyboard/ta-p/1167343

This is not a recommendation for any particular part, but rather to show where to find them and what prices you are looking at. My guess is that you are not in the US, so you will have a more difficult time I think.

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 keyboard in Laptop Replacement Keyboards | eBay

I would carefully research in order to determine the exact part you need. I bet some of the hardware techs would have fun helping you. There seems to be two different kinds; one looks like a barebones keyboard and the other has some kind of extra, skeleton "frame" attached to it. Not sure why you'd want one or the other. Another part said it was "without backlight" which implies to me that you might get one WITH a backlight, which might be an upgrade you might want. Just giving you a general idea of what you might be able to do. It's possible the keys are bad due to sticky soda are other sugar beverages, or they could be simply worn out, but it's also likely they are non-repairable.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've determined that the 2 keys in question are indeed not working via the keyboard testing site that was suggested (already knew since I'd tested F12 as a program shortcut and print screen has a hardcoded purpose in Windows, but whatever.) Tested another keyboard and things worked just fine, so confirming its a hardware issue.

I've also been told to discontinue further inquiry since having a problem with those specific keys does not interfere with her use of the computer, especially given the external keyboard workaround. As for replacement, if that was necessary, we have a guy - someone with my dexterity should not be messing with ribbon cables. And he's a decent guy - happy to provide service advice for free, including actually doing a quick fix if its faster than explaining things.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are solutions mentioned in the Lenovo Yoga 13 Laptop (IdeaPad) Manual for your issue. Hence, try to fix it :
- Check for Crumbs- Hold your laptop upside down or at the very least at a 45- to 75-degree angle from horizontal and give the laptop a good shake.
- Reboot Your PC. If you can't use the trackpad or mouse to reboot the PC, just hold down the power button for about 10-15 seconds to turn the PC off
- Driver Problems. download and install the latest drivers for the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.