Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant Restore ISO from external HDD.

SOLVED 
2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

So im trying to restore an ISO that was made through file history on windows 8.1

I made a back up ISO that ive been trying to restore now for about a week, and its been soo confusing I cant get it to see the ISO on my portable hard drive.

I have tried to restore the ISO by going to settings/change PC settings/Recovery/ Advanced options.

Also I have tried to fix the problem by going into BIOS and changing the boot order to start up USB first but that doesnt work either.

Then I select USB option my system reboots and im presented with this screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Daninozz

#3 ·
An ISO file is a file that is ready to be burned to a CD/DVD or a USB Flash Drive. It cannot be booted from.
What is the ISO of? if it is a bootable ISO, you can burn it to a USB Flash drive with Rufus in my signature. To make a USB Bootable, the ISO file must convert the whole USB drive to the bootable program. You then can put the Flash drive in the computer you want to boot, and boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab, under Hard Drive Group or just USB device move that to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. When the computer restarts, it should say, Press Any Key To Boot From USB. If not, the ISO is not bootable, or the USB drive is not the First Boot Device.

#4 ·
Hi mate thanks for your reply,

That makes plenty of sense that's its not a bootable ISO.

The ISO is a backup of my Laptop and it has documents on there that I need to recover. I know the ISO has those documents that I need.

The ISO was made with File History in Windows 8.1

I tested the laptop and plugged a bootable USB in and my laptop changed the boot order to boot USB first. also enabled boot menu in bios.

Ive read online and people are saying I need to change the boot mode from EUFI to Legacy boot. but their is no option in bios to change boot mode. the current setting for boot mode is on Standard, but I want to make sure I know what im messing with before I go changing boot settings for my laptop.

#5 ·
File History will have not boot file on it.
If you want to access this ISO file, as previously stated, you can burn the Image file to a CD or DVD using IMGBurn or with a USB Flash with Rufus, both available in my signature. You would not boot off of this media but just put it in and browse the disc, or Drive and Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste any files you would like to restore to your computer from the media

#6 ·
Sorry I didnt explain myself properly, I know the image isnt a bootable image as its a backup image.

What I meant was I have created a bootable iso using the creation media tool, however my bios cant see my USB device.

And thats where im stuck in bios just like ok where from here?

#7 ·
I have created a bootable iso using the creation media tool, however my bios cant see my USB device.

And thats where im stuck in bios just like ok where from here?
Did you burn the bootable iso onto the usb external hard drive? The drive must be partitioned and formatted in the right manner for it to be bootable. If you have any data on the drive, that data will be lost after the formatting process, so make sure you do not have non-backed up data on the ext hdd before using Rufus to make it portable. Your PC will only boot from the ext hdd if the drive has properly been partitioned and formatted, and the iso burned onto it. Rufus will do this for you.

#10 ·
The ISO was made with File History in Windows 8.1....I made a bootable ISO of windows 8.1
These are two different things?
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Security tab, look for Secure Boot. If it is there, then Disable it or change it to Setup Mode. Now go over to the Boot tab, here if it is set to UEFI bios, change it to Legacy. Save and Exit.
Burn your ISO Image to a USB Flash drive not a USB HDD, using Rufus. You can also burn a UEFI Bios USB with Rufus, in my signature and not have to make changes in the Bios. If burned correctly, no other files can be on a bootable USB drive, so that is why we encourage using a USB Flash drive of 4 GB or larger, instead of a USB HDD.

#11 ·
This issue has been resolved found out how to restore system backup image in windows.

The solution : restored backup image in the recovery section in windows 8.1

Change PC settings/ Update and recovery/Advanced Setup.

Restarted PC

Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/System Image Recovery.

Computer restarts and boots into System Recovery screen. Select your username type in a password, if you dont have a password just enter. The next screen is the Re-Image backup screen.

Plugged my external HDD in found the image on the drive hit next let it recover the iso, system boots back up and bam back to your old system again.

So although this has worked I wasnt able to get the usb to be able to boot, even after disabling secure boot. I would like to find out how to fix this issue though. There are lots of forum posts where people are saying they have the same issue.

You did mention change the boot mode, even after ive created a supervisor password to access the settings in bios, there is no option to change from EUFI to legacy bios.

I will post a link of my settings in bios.

#13 ·
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This is my bios my boot mode is standard.

This link is another person also having the same issue!

Which setting under the boot tab changes the boot mode, because I cant even change the boot mode its greyed out.
The photos you linked to are not clearly visible due to glare from a window, although most of the settings can be made out. You could have taken your own photos and post them so that we see exactly what you are seeing. I cannot see the greyed out boot mode setting. Anyway, it seems your system's firmware is purely UEFI and has no support for legacy boot. This means whatever boot media you create must be UEFI bootable media, be it a DVD, USB HDD or flash drive. Once the media is created, all you have to do is change the boot order. You were not clear on previous posts about the image you were trying to boot from. Was it a bootable Windows 8.1 image, created using the media creation tool then burned to the usb HDD, or was it a system image made by System Image Backup accessible from the File History settings screen/window? System Image Backup does not create a bootable image that you can boot from if burned onto media. The media creation tool on the other hand creates a bootable Windows image that you can boot from if burned onto media (Windows installation media). To restore your system using the system image backup, you need to boot into Windows Recovery Environment, as you did via advanced startup or you boot from Windows installation media or system rescue/repair media.

#15 ·
Ok so to my frustration im able to boot from the usb, even though I cant see the usb in boot manager.

Solution is as follows.

Boot to Bios

Enable boot menu make usb/HDD first priority. Shutdown the tablet.

plug usb into the tablet it will then boot from the usb.

For some reason you dont need to "press any key to boot from device" it automatically knows you want to boot the usb before windows starts.

Cant believe the solution was staring me right in the face this whole time.. something so simple lol.

Thanks for your assistance mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.