Not open for further replies.

"Boot configuration data is missing or contains errors"

15K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
This is the message I get when I try to boot:

"The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors"

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Error code: 0xc000000f

I had a linux partition installed separate from my windows partition. I deleted the linux partition, which apparently messed up the windows boot loader since it seems to have been overwritten by the linux boot loader. i tried installing linux again to restore its bootloader, but selecting windows from the boot loader is no use since the windows boot loader no longer works. i've been using the command prompt in the windows 8 recovery environment but have not had success so far.

#3 · (Edited)
Right now I'm not even sure how to delete Linux without Windows. I've spent hours in Repair Your Computer without luck, so I would need more specific instructions to try.

I attached a screenshot I took in Linux of what my partitions look like. The highlighted one is Linux and the one above it is Windows 8. Anyone see anything wrong? :confused:

Attachments

#4 ·
Boot to the Windows DVD, Choose Repair Your Computer. When that fails, it will take you to the RE (Recovery Environment) Here choose Command Prompt.
At command prompt (x: sources) type:
bcdedit find “osdevice” (Must inc) (press enter). Now that you know where the OS is installed,

Use the returned as the drive letter for OS assume C: or whatever drive it is.

At the X:\Sources prompt, type:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup and press enter, next
Type:- c: and press enter
At the C:\ prompt, type: cd boot and press enter

At the C:\Boot prompt, type: attrib bcd -s -h -r and press enter
At the C:\Boot prompt, type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and press enter

At the C:\Boot prompt, type: bootrec /rebuildbcd and press enter

The Boot Configuration File will be rebuilt at this point. Once it finishes, type exit and press enter. Click the Restart button

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.