Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Youtube videos won't load

This is a discussion on Youtube videos won't load within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Not sure exactly how long this problem has been going on, but I'd say a couple days now. Most Youtube

Old 09-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Not sure exactly how long this problem has been going on, but I'd say a couple days now. Most Youtube videos load EXTREMELY slowly, like maybe 10kb/s. Certain videos load just fine. Seems like the really popular videos work.

Here's one that doesn't load:

And here's one that does:

It's not a software issue. This happens on both my laptop and desktop. It doesn't matter what browser I use or how it's set up. I even tried playing videos on my phone, connected to the wifi, and they still won't load. (They work fine on 4G). So it's gotta be either an issue with my Router, or with Verizon FIOS in general. The router is an Actiontec MI424WR, supplied by Verizon. I didn't adjust anything on it so I don't know why it would suddenly stop working properly. Resetting didn't make a difference.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

Ok, well the problem seems to have just randomly fixed itself. Strange. I can't figure out how to delete the thread, so... thanks anyway.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore0 View Post
Ok, well the problem seems to have just randomly fixed itself. Strange. I can't figure out how to delete the thread, so... thanks anyway.
Just use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark this thread as Solved.

Enjoyed the 2nd one btw
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

And it's back to not working. I don't know what the hell is going on. Same thing as last time, some load perfect and others barely load at all.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Are the troublesome ones still slow to download in Safe Mode with Networking and have you tried changing DNS servers.

It's also possible that the slowness is due to a lot of hits on some of the videos with it being intermittent.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yes, I have this problem in Safe Mode.

I don't think I can change my DNS server on this router. With Verizon, you're not allowed to use your own router, as the one they supply is also the cable box. I can go in to the settings and view my DNS server address. I can also add a "new dynamic DNS entry," as shown here:

Is that what I need to do?

BTW, I now don't believe it has to do with popularity. I clicked on some Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry (gag) videos with millions of hits and they loaded slow as well. I can't see any rhyme or reason to it.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Depending upon if the router is set to auto DNS, then you can click on TCP/IPv4/Properties as illustrated in the following MS tutorial then follow the steps in Step 6 Change TCP/IP settings

If the router is set to use a specific DNS server, then changing it in the computer can cause a conflict and prevent connectivity so just try it on the wireless adapter.

To access the window illustrated in the tutorial rather than use that method - right click on the wifi icon in the system tray and click on Open Network and Sharing Center - click on Change adapter settings (left pane) and then right click on the wireless adapter then on Properties.

After you have entered the new DNS settings, tick the box for Validate settings upon exit - Ok - Close and Windows troubleshooter will kick in and if all is well, then it will say that it can't ID any problem.

You could try changing to either Google - Primary 8.8.8.8 / Secondary 8.8.4.4 or Open DNS - Primary 208.67.222.222 / Secondary 208.67.220.220 and see if it makes any difference.

I can't quite see that it would have anything to do with your ISP as it would affect all video downloads, unless you are just experiencing the slow downloads at peak times - either due to popularity or throttling by your ISP, but you could ask them about that.