Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Wireless Router in dorm

This is a discussion on Wireless Router in dorm within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been trying to set up a wireless router in my dorm. The ISP is charter communications, and the

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have been trying to set up a wireless router in my dorm. The ISP is charter communications, and the school has nothing against people setting them up. It is a Netgear FM114p. I run the wizard to set it up, and it says it is a fixed IP. I got the information from ipconfig /all and plugged it into the configuration. I know of other people using routers, so I am not sure if the 192.168.x.x is conflicting with others. I have tried changing the last two numbers, but that does not seem to work. I also have to use the computer mac address because it assigns an ip to each mac. One answer someone else gave me was

"First, the same people having 192.168.0.1 thing won't matter if your router is on different channels from what other routers are on (The default is 1, try changing to a high channel as the low channels may overlap with channel 1)"

and

"So if there are no wireless problems, it's just a problem with the internet, try looking to see if your router has actually connected to the dorm internet yet. Also if your dorm doesn't need you to configure the ip, subnet, gateway, and DNS (In other words it has DHCP) then don't configure it yourself, thats a surefire way of breaking your internet connection."

I think because it is a fixed ip that the gateway and ip and dns has to be configured for charter communications. I also have a dhcp server where i got my original ip assigned, but I have no option to enter it in.

Any Ideas?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via ICQ to V0lt

The guy that told you that the ip doesn't matter is mistaken. Two network devices trying to use the same IP will cause a conflict. And, in fact, it doesn't matter as much as you might think to be using the same channel (which isn't always 1, and in fact usually isn't, as 6 and 11 are much more common) as another router in the area, although it is better to avoid interference to use a different channel. To clarify, far as the connection is concerned, its responsibility ends at whatever hardware you attach to it. Therefore, if your router itself gets the same ip as another router on the network, it's going to crap itself. But if someone out there on the intartubes happens to have the same 192. address on a computer within their LAN, it makes no difference- you're not on the same network.

What form is the connection in? Do you have a cable or dsl modem in your room, or is it just a wall jack? If it's a cable modem, then all you should have to do is plug the router into the jack on the back of the modem, and the modem's DHCP should take care of the connection, no manual set-up needed. If it's a wall jack, things get a little more complicated, since you're probably talking to a switch that may or may not have a dhcp server backing it (seems like you might). In this case, you will need to copy the settings from the computer currently connected to the jack to the router config, and set that computer to obtain an ip automatically from the router. If your school is really tight on the 'security' like mine, you may even need to spoof the MAC (hardware) address of the router to make it think that it's your computer. If your router doesn't support that, then you'd need to re-register the connection with the MAC address of the router.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Connect directly to the dorm network connection and do this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Fox, I did plug in the exact config, and when the router tries to auto-detect, it says it is a fixed ip, since the school registers the connection by mac addresses. I have all the settings correct, and I don't think that it has a dhcp, since the ip is the same no matter what. It is just a wall jack as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via ICQ to V0lt

Hi rrbjtc3, johnwill's advice will help give us a little more insight into the way your school is running things.

Even if the school operates with a dhcp server that polls the mac before assigning an ip, you may still be able to set it up- many brands of router have a feature that is essentially a mac address spoof, built in to the administrator control panel. It'll usually be labeled something along the lines of 'clone mac' or similar. You shouldn't have to spoof your computer's mac away from the other one, or at least I didn't when I did the same thing for my school (which at the time was a fixed IP with no dhcp, but did filter by the mac).
Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

That's were we were going.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Closed Thread
Gear in this thread