Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Wireless PCI shows connected but can't access internet.

This is a discussion on Wireless PCI shows connected but can't access internet. within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a wireless PCI-e card(Rosewill RNX-N150PCe) and it works and I can connect to the internet and use my

Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a wireless PCI-e card(Rosewill RNX-N150PCe) and it works and I can connect to the internet and use my browsers(chrome,firefox). But after a few hours the webpages stop loading and I can't connect to anything. I check the network and sharing center along with adapter status and it all says its connected to the internet. I even checked it with Xirrus wi-fi inspector and it passes the connection test. I have cable internet(suddenlink) and I'm renting the suddenlink gateway/wireless router. I'm running windows 7 64bit ultimate with service pack 1.Running on 802.11N and getting about 3 bars.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

Please start here
Pre-posting Requirements - for both Wired and Wireless Connectivity Issues

The ipconfig /all and xirrus screen shot would be helpful

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have a wireless PCI-e card(Rosewill RNX-N150PCe) and it works and I can connect to the internet and use my browsers(chrome,firefox). But after a few hours the webpages stop loading and I can't connect to anything. I check the network and sharing center along with adapter status and it all says its connected to the internet. I even checked it with Xirrus wi-fi inspector and it passes the connection test. I have cable internet(suddenlink) and I'm renting the suddenlink gateway/wireless router. I'm running windows 7 64bit ultimate with service pack 1.Running on 802.11N and getting about 3 bars.Attached is xirrus and ipconfig.

ISP: Suddenlink Cable
Wireless gateway: Arris DG950
PCIE wireless card: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe
Internet security: AVG Internet Security 2013
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xirrus inspector 1.png
Views:	23
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	125307  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (3.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

-73 dBm is a terrible connection. You have internet but its a tiny connection
Your xirrus screen shows two suddenlink.net wifi spots. Whos is the other one?

Suggestions:
Make sure the qualcomm wifi adapter has the latest driver. Check the qualcomm web site.
Change the wifi channel from 11 to 6 so you have no contention with the other wifi link. You need to do this with a wired connection not via wifi.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post

Suggestions:
Make sure the qualcomm wifi adapter has the latest driver. Check the qualcomm web site.
Change the wifi channel from 11 to 6 so you have no contention with the other wifi link. You need to do this with a wired connection not via wifi.
The other one is my neighbor. Which makes no sens because they're over an acre away but my Gateway is in the other room.How do I change the channel? Its connected through my PCIE.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi jxsilicon9- My name is Shannon and I am with Suddenlink. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your internet connectivity. Please email me and I’ll be happy to help. My direct email is shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

You would logon to your router and in the management interface and change the channel.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
You would logon to your router and in the management interface and change the channel.
It seems the router is locked. I will probably just have to replace this wireless card.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:

Suggestions:
I changed to another PCIE slot and now I'm getting -66dBm.Is that good?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

Certainly an improvement but still not great. Contact the ISP and get them to change the channel on the router.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Certainly an improvement but still not great. Contact the ISP and get them to change the channel on the router.
I'm just going to replace it. You know of better wireless pcie cards? Or should I get a wireless access point that connect through the ethernet port?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #12

unclear why would want to change your card when there is no indication it is the problem.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
unclear why would want to change your card when there is no indication it is the problem.
It keeps dropping the signal and has a weak signal.Even after changing the PCIe slot it went back to -73 dBm. Its not the channels or anything else. Because I've tried my smartphone and laptop in the same place and they had 100% signal with no problems.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

First try downloading the latest drivers from the rosewill website for your pci-e card.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberMan View Post
First try downloading the latest drivers from the rosewill website for your pci-e card.
I have the latest drivers.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Can you do a test and connect your computer to the router using an ethernet cable and see if you have internet connectivity and let us know the results.

If you have internet connectivtiy it will rule out a general connectivity issue with the computer.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you do a test and connect your computer to the router using an ethernet cable and see if you have internet connectivity and let us know the results.

If you have internet connectivtiy it will rule out a general connectivity issue with the computer.

I don't have an ethernet cable long enough for that.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Moderator - Networking

My System

If you cannot obtain an ethernet cable you will need to log onto thte router and change the channel from 11 to 6 using username and password when you get to the logon screen and then go into the wireless settings and change the channel from 11 or atuo to 6 click apply and re-boot router.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
If you cannot obtain an ethernet cable you will need to log onto thte router and change the channel from 11 to 6 using username and password when you get to the logon screen and then go into the wireless settings and change the channel from 11 or atuo to 6 click apply and re-boot router.
Its on channel 6 right now. I've tried flushdns,winsockreset and updated the drivers. What else could it be? Because my laptop and cell phone have no problem with a continuous wireless connection. This wireless card works for a while with a good connection and then my webpages get stuck at waiting to load and nothing connects. But everything such as network and sharing,xirrus,etc is showing that its connected to the internet. And I even pass the connection test with flying colors in xirrus. The only thing that seems to allow me to get back to accessing the web is restarting the computer. Flushing the DNS,resetting winsock don't do it. Could it be corrupted registry?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
Moderator - Networking

My System

Where is the router located in relation to your computer are they in the same room, different rooms or different floors and aproximate distance between the two?