Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless network stuck at "identifying". can't connect.

SOLVED 
29K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My computer will no longer connect to my home network. A few days ago it was able to with no problem. It sees the network, i can tell it to connect, but then it gets stuck at "identifying" and never actually connects. I have other computers connected to the network currently with no problem, both wifi and wired. Thanks in advance for the help!

Here is the info of my computer and what not:

Gateway fx6831 running windows 7

wireless connection

router is a linksys ea6350

i have videotron Ltee

I use avast for as my virus software, and I also have spybot search and destroy

*note: attached is the .txt file of the results of ipconfig /all

If you need more info, let me know!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
try a tcp/ip reset
------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10

For Windows Vista through to Windows 10
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen )​

For Windows 8 & 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menuu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
  • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
  • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen )​
Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
Access is Denied
This error will occur with windows 8 and windows 10 , so ignore.

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Details also here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! much appreciated.

I did all as you asked and received zero error messages. unfortunately, I rebooted before realizing I was supposed to copy and paste everything i just did. My mistake. However, there were no errors. Would it help if I did it a second time, and copy and pasted the results?

#5 ·
ok, i'll try that next, thanks.

I'm curious why uninstalling my virus protection would help? I've used avast/spybot for like 5 years now on this computer (and both on my work computer for years) and i've never had any issues with it. That being said, the one area that my computer knowledge is severely lacking is anything to do with modems/routers/connecting to the internet, so I will gladly defer to your superior knowledge.

#7 ·
good to know! thanks. Would windows firewall or windows defender (i think thats what its called?) possibly be an issue? I had just installed like 60 windows updates (about 2 years since the last time I did it. I avoided it because every time I do them, something seems to mess up) the day before it all stopped working.

#9 ·
correct, it stopped working after the windows updates.

there also seems to be another problem. I downloaded the avast uninstaller. i ran it, and it says that it should be run in safe mode. i click yes and it says it will reboot and start in safe mode automatically. so i click yes, it reboots. it starts the loading process of safe mode, loading all the windows files. it finished, showed me a new screen telling me it was booting into safe mode, then the screen goes dark and never loads into safe mode. I waited a long time and nothing ever happened.

I turned the computer off, tried manually booting into safe mode (two times). this time it gets to that initial safe mode loading screen, when it lists the many different windows files its loading, then froze and stopped loading files. I waited again for a long time and nothing happened so i turned it off.

i can't remember the last time I booted to safe mode on that computer, but I know that I have and that it worked in the past.

Seems as though something else must be happening in my computer as well. I ran avast and spybot both when my internet issues first started, and neither one found any issues.

#12 ·
Darn. The restore point didnt work. it went through the whole process, then when it was finished, it gave me an error "system restore error 0x800700B7". I looked that error up online and found a potential fix for it from microsoft that would supposedly let me run system restore correctly.

But wait, there's a new problem (oh joy) So i tried rebooting into safe mode, it didnt work. then i ran the avast uninstaller and it automatically rebooted into safe mode. that also didnt work. now every time i try to turn the computer on, it automatically tries to boot into safe mode unsuccessfully (i assume because the avast uninstaller is telling the computer to go into safe mode).

so while its rebooting, i press f8 and go into the menu, and I tell it to startup windows normally. even then, it still boots to safe mode. I tried using the "startup with last known good settings", also still tries to boot to safe mode.

from that f8 menu, if i try to boot up any way to normal windows, it just auto boots to safe mode and then fails. The only option that seems to work is "repair computer". i select that and it brings me to the system recovery options menu (that is where i attempted to run the system restore from)

So yeah, now I can't even boot into windows normally, or safe mode, and system restore doesnt work. great.

#13 ·
Boot to Repair Your Computer, in the RE (Recovery Console) go to Command Prompt.
At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on.It may not be on the C: drive.
Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS, for this example, assume C: or whatever drive letter is the os device.
At the X:\Sources prompt, type: bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup and press enter, next:

Type:- c: and press enter

At the C:\ prompt, type: cd boot and press enter

At the C:\Boot prompt, type: attrib bcd -s -h -r and press enter
At the C:\Boot prompt, type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and press enter

At the C:\Boot prompt, type: bootrec /rebuildbcd and press enter

The Boot Configuration File will be rebuilt at this point. Once it finishes, type exit and press enter. Click the Restart button

#14 ·
Thank you for joining in and helping.

i have made it successfully to this part of your response:

Type:- c: and press enter

At the C:\ prompt, type: cd boot and press enter

etc..

When you say to use c:, am I still assuming that c: is being used in this example as the drive letter that my os is on? (in my case, d: is what bcdedit |find “osdevice” gave me) or, am i in fact using c: now. i tried using d: in the steps i posted above (d:\> cd boot) but it did not work, it told me "the system could not find the path specified".

thank you for the help, and sorry about the confusion.

#17 ·
ok so i used c: and it worked :) i did everything like you said. after this step:
"At the C:\Boot prompt, type: bootrec /rebuildbcd and press enter" it says "successfully scanned windows installations. total identified installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows
add installation to boot list? yes <Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

I assume i should type Y? i have not done anything beyond this point yet.

#19 ·
great, many thanks! it worked. I was able to boot properly into windows. when i did, i got a message saying that my system restore had actually worked. it restored my computer to a restore point about a month ago. the only changes I have made in that time is the windows updates. so it seems like one of them must have been the culprit for losing connection to the internet.

Thank you etaf and thank you spunk.funk for your time and patience. You both were very helpful, and fixed my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.