Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Wireless Network, Laptop loses connection, won't re-connect

This is a discussion on Wireless Network, Laptop loses connection, won't re-connect within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Hope you can help me and this is posted in the right section. I'm not very technical so forgive

Old 04-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

Hope you can help me and this is posted in the right section.

I'm not very technical so forgive the simple explanantion.

I'm on Vista Home Basic and this is, I think, a Vista/laptop issue.

My laptop connects fine to my Netgear wireless router and works no issue.

Then for no reason it loses the connection (maybe linked to inactivity)

Then it won't re-connect and says it can't find any networks. My network is shown as found and working in 'manage wireless networks' (it's the only network set up in that list) but there's no way I can get the computer to find it to re-connect.

All this time the router is working fine and connecting to my other computer no problems which works fine all through this episode.

Restarting the laptop sorts the problem and it all works fine until the next drop-out.

Any ideas?

Cheers

R

Old 04-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

rogthedodge,

Do these disconnects happen after a period of inactivity on your laptop? Are you closing your laptop then opening it back up? Laptops have lots of power-saving features that turn off devices after periods of inactivity. These features are designed to save battery life. Check out this post:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152/en-us

Scroll down to the section titled "Modify the default power saving power plan".

The other possibility is that you are accidentally turning off your wireless hardware via a button or function key on your laptop. Many laptops have either a dedicated button which toggles the wireless adapter On/Off (there's usually a corresponding LED which indicates the status of the Wireless hardware). On other laptops, wireless can be turned on/off via a Function Key (FN + other key with a wireless symbol on it).

I believe that one of these two scenarios is likely the cause of your WiFi disconnects. Try both and let me know if this helps.

- John

Old 04-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi John

Thanks, I've adjusted the power-saving options - the laptop is connected to the mains so shouldn't be an issue but it's got to be worth a go.

It's an intermittent issue, it did it twice yesterday - once overnight & once in the afternoon, but was fine this morning after 7 hours of inactivity.

I'll try this and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Roger
Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

hi rogthedodge!

-- have you tried changing the channels on your router? try channel 1, 6 or 11
-- do you have any security enabled on your router? if yes, have you tried disabling the security and try connecting again w/o security? if no, have you tried enabling wireless security?
-- have you tried removing your network and tried connecting again to the wireless network?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Tech Hardware Team

rogthedodge,

If the power settings didn't help, I would agree with serra_baby with the advice about changing the router's wireless channel.

Also, do you have any cordless telephones or other wireless devices in your home? I ask because some cordless phones, wireless speakers, etc. which use similar frequencies to WiFi can cause interference with WiFi connections.

- John