Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless Network Connectivity

3K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  Old Rich 
#1 ·
I have had a wireless network running for several years using a netgear router/modem. It became faulty and has just been replaced by a Netgear DGN1000. My ISP is TalkTalk providing an ADSL broadband connection which has been very reliable. I am using windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and have had a reliable wireless network running with my current machine for over 18 months until yesterday!

Since configuring the new router, in my household there are 2 windows 7 laptops (1 Toshiba which is the same as mine and 1 dell Inspiron), one Dell Inspiron on Windows Vista and my son's XBox which are all working fine. In addition to the netgear router, we also use a devolo access point to give us full coverage and all other machines except mine can connect using both the netgear and devolo connections. However, my machine steadfastly refuses to connect to either. In fact, it did connect briefly after configuring the new router but quickly ceased the service.

I have been through the Network and Sharing Centre, using the "Manage Networks " and deleted the networks and recreated them several times. I have tried restarts and even a restore to a time prior to my setting up the new router. I can connect using the ethernet cable (hence this connection). When I try to connect through either the netgear of Devolo connection it takes an eternity to try and find the network and then comes up telling me it is an unidentified network (public network). I have compared the settings on my machine and my sons (Toshiba) and can't see any difference but it seems there is something stopping the wireless connection from recognising the networks in my house. I have double checked and got my wife to check the security settings and they are identical to her machine which works.

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if foundhere's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I have done (again!) the power ups and downs with no change in the outcome. I have also deleted (again) the stored profiles with no change in the outcome. I have tried running the cmd line you highlighted with the router connected (several times) and made sure I chose "select all" but when I press Enter, the screen just goes black leaving the cmd line there (ie: I can still see IPCONFIG /ALL but nothing else). I have downloaded the Xirrus application and will send a copy of the print screen in a couple of hours time.

Thanks for your help.

#5 ·
Apologies - this is the result from the cmd line.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Steven>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Steven
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 22-26-B6-E5-35-59
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B6-E5-35-59

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet C
ontroller (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-6C-66-8D-90
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ed91:8c7f:d710:929d%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.8(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 March 2012 17:33:18
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 March 2012 17:33:18
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335554156
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-8A-5B-5E-00-26-6C-66-8D-90

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C2A438D3-A66D-43A6-BCFC-E36279048F20}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:4e1:23c0:fd9e:8ffa(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4e1:23c0:fd9e:8ffa%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A22D127C-938C-4DC7-8264-DF55CA381631}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

C:\Users\Steven>

#16 ·
It's a Toshiba Satellite C650 and I've just been on the support website and downloaded the only driver for Atheros which was a wireless Lan driver. I installed and restarted but no progress I'm afraid. I also checked through Control panel and checked the diver date there and the message was that it was the latest version and working correctly.

#17 ·
I notice when I connect through the Ethernet connection or when I look at my son's Toshiba 650, that the network that works shows as a Home Network yet my wireless network comes up as unidentified. this seems to me to suggest that the machine is seeing something but can't recognise the network. The trouble is I don't know whether this is meaningful or not!

#25 ·
2XG - thanks for your response. I have checked that and did think about the groups earlier. There is one important difference between what I see and what is shown in the link. In the link, the "public network" is shown as a link which will enable me to change the type of network. On my screen, there is just text but with no link to change it.

Rich - thanks for your advice. I have bought one and the connection now works fine. Just one last question. If I want to get the faulty Atheros unit replaced or repaired, is that a separate card inside the Laptop or part of a larger component such as the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.