Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Wireless Network Adapter Missing

This is a discussion on Wireless Network Adapter Missing within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have had an Dell Inspiron E1505 for about a year and a half with no major problems at all.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have had an Dell Inspiron E1505 for about a year and a half with no major problems at all. Yesterday when I got home from work and tried to sign on - my built-in wireless network adapter is missing. It is not listed in "Device Manager" as one of my network connections. It is just gone. Does anyone have any ideas? My wireless router is working fine..I have no idea what has happened.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Either it's disabled in the BIOS for some reason, or the wireless adapter has died.

You can remote the laptop battery and open up the panel on the bottom that give you access to the wireless card. Slide it out, then back into the socket to make sure it's properly seated.

If it's enabled in the BIOS, and the reseating of the adapter doesn't make it appear in Device Manager, my guess is that it died.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your reply. In the instance that the wireless adapter is dead, would I have to ship it back to Dell for them to replace it? What options would I have? If I take it back to factory settings and start all over, would that remedy the problem?