Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless disconnects when playing games

928 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Aaronza 
#1 ·
A recent lightning storm caused my internal network adapter to stop working so I picked up a USB network adapter so I could use my wifi. This lets me browse the internet and play hearthstone fine, but whenever I try play dota 2 or counter-strike my internet will disconnect every few minutes.

I have tried playing around with power options/power management but that hasn't made a difference. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Was the original adapter also wifi? Are you actually losing network connectivity?

Most likely, the NIC was not the only item affected by the power surge/loss. You can check Windows Event Viewer and see if Windows is logging any errors?

#5 ·
I was using direct cable to my computer before, I had to buy a usb adapter so I could pick up my wifi.

Yes it completely disconnects the internet, it seems to happen when I try do multiple things, e.g. play youtube and load multiple web pages

Do you mean these errors? I think I have had most of these for awhile not sure about the 'power management' one though.

#10 ·
Now you should be able to correlate the log entries with the date/times in which the issue occurs. That will help filter out the entries which don't apply.

Also, you can ping the router before and during the problem. That will confirm you have network connectivity.

#11 ·
I disconnected it twice and got 2 different warnings;

http://i.imgur.com/b2SKgty.png

and

http://i.imgur.com/V5fFBK4.png

I Also did the ping to router following these steps
How to Ping the Windows Network Router - For Dummies
and it was the same as before and when I disconnected. In that I got a reply of similiar to the example;

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127 Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.