Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Wireless AP not getting IP from DHCP

This is a discussion on Wireless AP not getting IP from DHCP within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Engenius ENH200EXT Outdoor AP I was using as a bridge to pull wifi from a Asus RT-N66U.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Engenius ENH200EXT Outdoor AP I was using as a bridge to pull wifi from a Asus RT-N66U.

It started to drop connection, and when I would check in on the problem it had lost it's IP, and could not get a new one from DHCP. I would try to renew the IP, no luck, a message would pop up very quickly, I believe it read "Ajax request error".

Nothing would fix the problem but time, some times the next day it would reconnect. So I tried switching to a older Netgear Wireless router, and it would work. I would switch back to the Asus and it did not work. So I assumed it was something on the Asus router.

I tried setting the IP statically, would not work. I tried DHCP reservations so the IP would never change, would not work.

So I used the lesser Netgear in stead, but now I am having the same problem on the Netgear. The AP is not getting a IP from DHCP, same exact problem and symptoms as the Asus. No IP, nothing I seem to try remedies the problem except time. When ever this happens, no other devices have issues connecting to either router.

I am assuming it is a problem with my AP, which will make me very sad, as a new outdoor AP won't be cheap, specially since I will not buy a Engenius again. Any one have any insight into what may be causing the issue before I try to replace it?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

Welcome to TSF!

It would appear to me the AP is not getting a wifi connection to begin with. It has to have that first to get the dhcp ip.

I would suggest turning off any encryption to see if you can connect and get a ip address.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have tried disabling WPA/WPA2 and there is not difference. It does pick up the connection at around 65-70db when I do a network scan, it just won't connect to the network when it is having its DHCP/IP fuss.

I am suspecting it is the AP itself, I can hook a USB WiFi adapter to the same directional antenna and it works very well, and that is with running 15" of LMR400 cable between the two. I have tried adjusting every setting I can think of on this AP, but I just can't get it to connect when it is throwing a tantrum.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #4

See if there is a firmware update for it or contact Engenius support and see what they have to say.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

It is on the latest Firmware, my post on their forums has gone unanswered, so it appears I will have to go through their direct Tech Support/RMA debarment.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Good luck!

Gear in this thread