Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Windows xp cannot connect to modem.... Ip address is all zeroes!

This is a discussion on Windows xp cannot connect to modem.... Ip address is all zeroes! within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I came home yesterday to find that I couldnt connect to the internet, I called my isp, and they said

Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

I came home yesterday to find that I couldnt connect to the internet, I called my isp, and they said i'm receiving a full signal, but my computer just isn't communicating with my modem. The ip address is 0.0.0.0. Of course the isp can't help with this problem, and since my computer is past the warranty, neither can microsoft or hp (not for free anyways). The person at Qwest (isp) said I might have to "reset my netcard" (??? She had a really think accent), but I have no clue what that is or how to do it. Please tell me someone here can help me! :)

Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From a Johnwill post

IP addresses of all zeros are normally caused by one of the following.

Diagnosis:
  1. DHCP Service not running.
  2. Duplicate IP address on the network.
  3. Bad NIC card drivers.
  4. Defective NIC hardware.

Resolution:
  1. Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.
  2. Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, restart (power cycle) the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices.
  3. Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.
  4. Replace the Network Interface Card.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Holy crap, that worked! And such a simple solution too! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Moderator - Networking

Quote:
Holy crap, that worked!
would you mind saying what you did to resolve ?

You can mark the thread solved - from the dropdown " thread tools" at the top of the page - choose "Mark Solved"

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote