Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

will wrt54g linksys router support windows vista?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  n3vino 
#1 ·
I have a wrt54g router version 2.1. This router is five years old and I have never done a firware upgrade. I believe there have been several according to the linksys website.

I have an older XP sp2 desktop connected directly to the router and an XP sp2 laptop via wireless.

I am thinking of buying a new desktop and am wonder if the router will support windows vista. I am pretty sure my son's laptop with windows vista connected to it via wireless when he first got it. Windows vista had just come out.

I would connect the Vista desktop and the XP directly to the router. The laptop would still be wireless.

Also, are the ISP parameters for Vista the same as XP to where I could just configure it the same as the XP?

What about going wireless with the Vista Desktop? Would that be a better option?

#2 ·
I have a wrt54g router version 2.1. This router is five years old and I have never done a firware upgrade. I believe there have been several according to the linksys website.
Only update your router's firmware if you are experiencing a problem that one of the updates addresses. There is always a risk of a failed firmware update killing your router.

I have an older XP sp2 desktop connected directly to the router and an XP sp2 laptop via wireless.

I am thinking of buying a new desktop and am wonder if the router will support windows vista. I am pretty sure my son's laptop with windows vista connected to it via wireless when he first got it. Windows vista had just come out.

I would connect the Vista desktop and the XP directly to the router. The laptop would still be wireless.

Also, are the ISP parameters for Vista the same as XP to where I could just configure it the same as the XP?
Yes and yes. Network setup in Vista is much the same as it is in XP. Many of the dialogue boxes are identical.

What about going wireless with the Vista Desktop? Would that be a better option?
Wireless is always an option, and allows one to have more freedom as to placement of your hardware, but a wired connection is generally more stable and faster. Your own situation will dictate which is best for -you-.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.