Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

wifi stopped working on my laptop

This is a discussion on wifi stopped working on my laptop within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi, I've gone through a few steps here to make sure I had no virus problem... gradually the built-in wifi

Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi,
I've gone through a few steps here to make sure I had no virus problem... gradually the built-in wifi stopped working on my hp laptop (same router, cable internet and the little netbook I also use at home has no problems connecting wirelessly). I thought maybe there was some software that needed updating and updated the "bios" off the hp site which seemed to work for a day or two then the problem came back. the wifi modem does not "see" my home network. "view available networks" shows several nearby wifi but not my own.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the panda security system thinking maybe that was the problem-then it could see the wireless for a couple of times then was disconnecting on me while I was surfing the internet-soon as I shut down the computer and restart-no more home wireless is visible.

Any ideas of what to do next?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I would check HP support/driver site for a updated WiFi driver. I would go ahead and reinstall it.

Also have you tried turning off the WiFi security and just leaving it open, see if the issue goes away?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks...
I did update the driver off the hp site (but there were several to choose from so I wasn't completely sure I had the right one). I haven't tried turning off the wifi security. funny thing is, the wifi seems to have sporadic problem. I just left the computer alone this morning, came back, and the wifi mysteriously connected while I was gone. I can try the second option and see what happens. However, it doesn't explain why the other computer is able to log on without any problems (both hp portables).
Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

Disable the problematic Network Adapter's power saving mode from Device Manager, locate the Network Adapter=> Properties=> Power Management Tab, in here you may disable any Power Save mode options by unchecking them off.

Install and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.
Click on the 'Show Networks' to display all wireless networks on the xirrus icon on your desktop of if you have one running in a corner. Tap the Printscreen key on your keyboard, open up Paint then choose Edit from the Menu and select Paste, then SAVE it. Upload and attached it here, click on Go Advanced and locate Manage Attachments Tab and attached the file.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

well, there may be a problem so far... when i get to device manager-network adapter-there is no "properties" option- but I have 3 adapters (i do recall i uploaded 2 others when I was trying to update my driver from the hp site- so now I have: 1394 net adapter (the original one- i think); intel(r) prowireless 2200bg network connection; realtek RTL8139/810xm family fast ethernet NIC.

i think i need to delete a couple of these, right? now, note that the wifi was goofy even before i added these redundant drivers. actually, I was able to go into the 2 other wireless drivers and "unable" the driver "power management" box. I am not sure if I should go ahead and run the Xirrus inspector until I determine if i need to uninstall the redundant drivers. sorry for the confusion...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
2xg

Do me a favor please....take a snap shot of network adapter's expanded from Device Manager and post it here for review.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

sorry, I am not able to do the print-screen and save to paint--the paint program keeps freezing up on me. any other options?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
2xg

You may paste it to Wordpad or MS Word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novicegiek View Post
sorry, I am not able to do the print-screen and save to paint--the paint program keeps freezing up on me. any other options?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

here's my next attempt to satisfy your request...
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/VICTOR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

i had to put it as an an attachment, best I could do... hope this works.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp network adapters.bmp (691.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
2xg

Very good and you have made it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by novicegiek View Post
i had to put it as an an attachment, best I could do... hope this works.
Now go back to the Device Manager leave Network Adapters expanded and right click on the Intel adapter then choose Properties, you'll see Power Management Tab, then uncheck the boxes.

We'll make it easier for you to update your Intel driver. Click here to automatically update all your Intel drivers including the Wi-Fi adapter if there's any new updated driver. Click on 'Check your system for the latest updates' then let it detect and install the driver for you.

Please post another update.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

well, the wifi seems to be working... so far

but now I get a new error message every time computer is restarted-which I have never seen before:

jpeg attached..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error message.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	94610  
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

one more thing... i found some "hotfix" on the panda site for that particular error message and so far (knock on wood) the error message is gone, the wifi connected on it's own... and i think things seem to be back to "normal". if not, i guess i'll be back. but, if all is well, and in either case, many many thanks!! :-D
Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
2xg

novicegiek - that's great news.

Please let us know if your issue comes back, let's hope not.

You're Welcome.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #15
Registered Member

Cry

My laptops internet doesnt work too!!!
is there a way i can fix mine??
its windows XP and its also HP!!
i tried the instructions you said but mine wont work...
Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #16
Registered Member

Hi,
Best to start a new topic to get help, but before you do make sure that wifi is enabled (switched on) on your laptop, there's usually a switch or a button to do this or possibly a function key on your laptop keyboard. Also try plugging a ethernet cable from your router to the laptop to eliminate any possible problems with the router wireless settings or the internet connection and post your results on a new topic.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobuta View Post
My laptops internet doesnt work too!!!
is there a way i can fix mine??
its windows XP and its also HP!!
i tried the instructions you said but mine wont work...

momobuta please create your own thread on your issues you are having as it is against the rules to ask for help in an existing thread it is a

Please see forum rules

Thank you for your co-operation.