Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

wifi channel change causing strange issues

This is a discussion on wifi channel change causing strange issues within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I got a wifi anaylser (for my Android) and noticed everyone in my area is using channel 6 or

Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I got a wifi anaylser (for my Android) and noticed everyone in my area is using channel 6 or 11, so I changed mine to 2.

Both my Android phone and my XP eeePC can see the network and both say they have excellent connectivity. However, neither can actually see my router (most of the time - see below), which is bizarre.

If I use IE (yuk!) on my XP machine, and select to diagnoise connection problems, most of the time it resolves this issue and I can then connect, but after 1-5 minutes it will drop out again (even though the icon in the sys tray says it is connected).

I cannot even ping my router when I have channel 2 selected.

If I revert to channel 6, no problems at all.

I have deleted and recreated the network (on XP) but to no avail. I have rebooted the eeePC. I have shut it down, left it 5 minutes and turned it back on again. I have rebooted the router (even though that shouldn't be necessary) and still, on channel 2, the connection is ropey to say the least.

Has anyone out there experienced similar problems? I'm happy to stick with channel 6 for now, but it would be nice to improve my connection by using a different channel to all my neighbours...

BTW I also have 2 wired win 7 PCs which work fine all the time - probably not relevant though.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

If it's working ok on channel 6, I would leave it there . . lets take a peek at your environment:

please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Rich

See attached for the screenshot. Note there are usually 3 networks showing on 6, and one on 11, but I'm in my basement at the moment and the reception isn't so great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xirrus.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	96793  
Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Have you tried channel 8?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

No but there would be overlap as I understand it (each channel uses +-2 i.e. 6 means 4-8, 8 means 6-10). Still better than 6 though I suppose...

Any ideas why channel 2 would have problems though - I can't find anyone else who has the same problem. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Registered Member

I just want to understand the problem realy - I was lead to believe (from reading up on this) that the channel makes no difference to ability to connect, so I don't realy want to make any changes unless I can understand why channel 2 would cause a problem (and therefore why a different channel wouldn't cause a problem...)
Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Just a guess, but there would seem to be some other interference on channel 2 . . no telling what
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hmmm ... OK I guess I'll leave it on 6 unless anyone else has any ideas?
Thanks for your assistance though Rich - appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

You are welcome . .