Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Why won't my laptop connect to my network/Internet?

This is a discussion on Why won't my laptop connect to my network/Internet? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer won't connect to my network. I goto my list of wireless networks, chose my home network and press

Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

My computer won't connect to my network. I goto my list of wireless networks, chose my home network and press connect. Then a prompt comes up and says " Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try yo connect again", I'm in the same room as the router so I know I'm in range. It won't let me connect to any other networks either, other than one named VirusHost. The VirusHost doesn't sound like a network I want to be connected to though! When I start my computer in Safe Mode with Networking I can connect to the Internet, so I don't know what the deal it. Also it seems this happened awhile back and a friend of mine did something in the Internet options, advanced settings to fix the problem. Not sure exactly what he did. I don't understand why I can get on the Internet in safe mode but not when I log in normal ways.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

While not in safe mode, please post the details of ipconfig:
click start > run > cmd
At the prompt type ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt
Find the newly created file in the c: drive named ipconfig.txt
Copy the contents of that file back here for analysis.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, I found out that I had the Proxy Server box checked on my LAN settings. But I still can only connect to the VirusHost wireless network. It just doesn't seem like a safe network and why is that the only one I can connect with?

I did get the ipconfig text

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name: Larry
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: no.cox.net

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: no.cox.net
Description: Intel(R) PRO/wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address: 00-13-CE-37-ED-D0
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address:192.168.1.107
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 68.105.28.12
Lease Obtained: Sarturday, January 29, 2011 3:12:36 PM
Lease Expires: Sunday, January 30, 2011 3:12:36 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State: Media disconnected
Description: Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Physical Address: 00-0F-B0-9A-81-B5
Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Please disconnecti the power to your wireless router.
Then, please delete all saved wireless profile How to remove existing wireless network profile in Windows XP - FAQ

If VirusHost is actually your router, it will not be available while the power is disconnected and your saved profiles are deleted.