Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

WD my book live 3TB direct connect problem

This is a discussion on WD my book live 3TB direct connect problem within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently bought my book live 3TB everything works well with it, I can stream movies upload them, remote access

Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently bought my book live 3TB everything works well with it, I can stream movies upload them, remote access and much more with a good speed, the problem is when I direct connect my book live to my PC via Ethernet, windows can't find the path of the drive. However, I tried to direct connect via Macbook and it works with no problem!

I tried to fast reset my book live to factory default settings and direct connect from my book live to my PC via Ethernet, simply it worked! But then it stopped working for some unknown reason.

Its a pain when i need to transfer large files via wireless. I tried using crossover cable but with no luck...

Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

I've not tested one, but I'd be surprised if you can directly connect it to the PC via ethernet.

Based on the User Manual, the device should be connected to your network router/switch. I don't see any reference to being able to directly attach it.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

I saw the manual and it didn't state any direct connect via ethernet to the PC, thats correct but i just hope my book live is not defected... i don't want to face any problems in the future knowing this problem occurred... lookin' for more my book live or non my book live users... still i want to investigate what wrong with my book live.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Normally when you connect a network device to your network it grabs an IP address from your router, which is what enables the other computers to see it. If you plug the device right to your computer, it's never going to get that IP address, therefore it will never be seen by your computer or anything else on the network. You best bet would be to connect the device to your router via network cable and your computer to your router via network cable also. That will allow the fastest transfer speeds possible. Most newer devices also support 10/100/1000Mb connections (also known as gigabit). If that's the case, you could spend as little as $60, get a small 5 port gigabit switch, plug that in to your router, and then your computer and the MyBook in to the switch also. You'll be amazed at the speed you can transfer files. Providing your have fast HD's in the mybook, you should be able to transfer a 2GB file in less than a minute easily.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
djaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

"the problem is when I direct connect my book live to my PC via Ethernet"

That is not a problem. It's not meant to be connected like this since it won't get a ip address which means it can't be addressed.

If you wanted a direct connect device you should have purchased one. NAS units are desiged to be on the network as in Network Attached Storage.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozee89 View Post
I recently bought my book live 3TB everything works well with it, I can stream movies upload them, remote access and much more with a good speed, the problem is when I direct connect my book live to my PC via Ethernet, windows can't find the path of the drive. However, I tried to direct connect via Macbook and it works with no problem!

I tried to fast reset my book live to factory default settings and direct connect from my book live to my PC via Ethernet, simply it worked! But then it stopped working for some unknown reason.

Its a pain when i need to transfer large files via wireless. I tried using crossover cable but with no luck...
I was able to get this to work in Windows 7 by going to Start menu -> Run -> "\\mybooklive". You shouldn't need a crossover cable in modern PC's because the network cards can detect those conditions. This is a bare Windows 7 installation so you shouldn't need special software for this either.