Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

VPN working, can't see shared drives on server. Help!

This is a discussion on VPN working, can't see shared drives on server. Help! within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey folks... I have a VPN network setup at my office running Windows 7 Home Premium, router is a Cisco

Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to CMonte420 Send a message via Yahoo to CMonte420
Angry

Hey folks...

I have a VPN network setup at my office running Windows 7 Home Premium, router is a Cisco WRVS4400n ver 2 with VPN (which is actually made by Linksys, but now carrries the Cisco name since the buyout). I have the C drive shared on the server.

When I VPN into the network from outside my LAN, I am not able to see my shared C drive via Windows Explorer. Any help in this venue would be appreciated. I'm pretty familiar with networking, so I shouldn't be that much of a pain to work with. I have yahoo messenger and AIM, same name as here. Any help would be appreciated.

C-Monte

Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

57 views and not 1 response? Is there more information I need to provide to get a little help here?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

Perhaps, we're hectic here.....
Quote:
57 views and not 1 response?
In regards to your concern, I think with VPN if you're trying to connect to a Domain (is your network on Domain?) from a non-domain computer, you will not gain access to the Servers or network resources. However, with Terminal Services using RDC from any Windows O/S, I'm 100% sure that it works bec. I use RDC.

Let me do some more research and I'm sure you will get more feedback later on.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

The server does not have a domain. I am able to access all data when I'm in using RDP, but my actual goal is to be able to access the shared drive from Windows Explorer once I am connected to the network via VPN. Hopefully that makes sense. I can actually give you a username and password to VPN into the network, go RDP, whatever you might need in order to help me. Thank you very much for your time and effort!

C-Monte
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Any help will be provided in this Thread and we won't need your network's Login, ie....VPN to help you provide with the resolution. You should keep all of that confidential and never give it out to anyone.
Quote:
I can actually give you a username and password to VPN into the network, go RDP, whatever you might need in order to help me.
Here are some workaround if the Explorer doesn't work:
Have you tried accessing the resouces using the browser? http://IPAddress/shareddrive or sharedfolder

or...from Start=> run box, type \\servername or computername\shareddrive or sharedfolder

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote