Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

VPN help

This is a discussion on VPN help within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I am having a hell of a time getting a successful VPN connection

Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and I am having a hell of a time getting a successful VPN connection from my school to my home.

My home is set up like this: I have a linksys e2500 router, a computer (not the VPN server) is connected by Ethernet cord from the router. My windows XP computer, a Dell Dimension 4550 desktop, is connected by a wireless adapter to said router. This computer is what I am using as the VPN server. I am using this computer, which has no way to be directly wired to my modem for internet access, because it is always on, and it only makes sense to have this as the server.

I have a VPN correctly configured on the Dell computer. I am able to connect FROM this computer TO a VPN server set up from my laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate), but I am unable to connect from my laptop to the home desktop. I get the error 800 code.

However, I am able to connect from my laptop to my home VPN server only while connected to the same internet. When I was able to do this I thought that I had everything set up correctly only to find out when I got to school that it did not work. Although I am still able to connect to my laptop VPN from my home computer while I am at school.

Both computers use Norton 360. I have tried to disable the smart firewall, still unable to connect. I have unblocked stealth ports, still unable to connect. I even set up a firewall rule for ports 1723, 500, and 1701, and I'm still unable to connect.

I am pretty sure that I have everything set up correctly as far as my router goes. I have VPN passthrough allowed. I have set rules in the 'Port Range Forwarding" Port 500, Port 500, port 47, and port 1723.

I have used the PortQuery program to check ports. If I use the home computer to check ports on my laptop, everything is successful. But from my laptop to my home computer, I usually get "Not Listening" or "Filtered."

Please help!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF I have moved you to networking for further help

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Management Team Networking

Perhaps this quide will help

How to Create a Windows XP VPN server

You can't have port 1723 pointing to the xp pc and the laptop at the same time.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
You can't have port 1723 pointing to the xp pc and the laptop at the same time.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. On my home router I have port 1723 set to both TCP/UDP, in the guide you posted it has TCP 1723 and then port 500 UDP. Could this be my problem, or part of my problem?

Also, I'm unsure as to what exactly is happening in this step:

http://www.oakdome.com/lab/wp-conten...-addresses.gif

I have a range put in that has 11 different options that have the same first 3 numbers of my home IP(192.168.1.xxx). My school IP address is 139.83.64.xxx so when trying to connect to my home VPN do I really need my IP address from my laptop?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

"I'm not sure what you mean by this."

You can't have the following
port 1723----->192.168.1.10 pc1
port 1723----->192.168.1.20 pc2

Your link is showing a choice of either using dhcp or a manual range. If choosing a manual range you only need one or two ips not 51.

To be on your home network you need a ip address in the home network. Once you establish the vpn connection this will give you a ip address so you can talk to your home network.

From here you can see 1723 tcp is the vpn port. Port 500 udp is L2PT
Which ports do you need to open on a firewall to allow PPTP and L2TP over IPSec VPN tunnels?

I have seen routers that didn't haver protocol 47 but the connection still worked.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote