Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Vista & Wireless - Connection issues

This is a discussion on Vista & Wireless - Connection issues within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi There,
To make this post short, simple and easy to read, I wish to keep the detail of the issues experienced high and keeping the unnecessary rants and frustrations to a minimum.

I recently purchased an ASUS X55 Series laptop, it is fairly good overall, I setup my Laptop at a mates place, who also purchased the same laptop, we both had no issues connecting to the internet at his house, which has a Wireless Router setup with roaming etc.

The problem begun when I came home to try and connect to my Wireless network, and to no avail have had no success despite the numerous suggestions posted by members for other peoples problems.

I have decided to make this post a little more structured and details as an attempt assist not just me, but anyone else who may be experiencing the same issue, not so much the exact same setup, but the Vista/XP issue or something similar may be able to overcome this with the suggestions and help provided.

So, to give you an overview…

Network & System specifications
I am working with the following;
Router - Dynalink RTA1025W ADSL2+ Wireless 4 Port Modem/Router.
Computers - 2 Laptops attempting to connect to the network with;
o 1 Laptop using Vista Home Premium 32bit OS. (Will be known as LAP1 for this discussion).
Network Card: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
o 1 Laptop using Windows XP Professional (will be referred to as LAP2 for this discussion).
Network Card: Intel® Wireless 2915ABG

The Problem

LAP2 has no issues connecting to the internet using the existing Router configurations and setups.

LAP1 which has Vista seems to have compatibility issues when connecting to the existing Wireless Network within my home.

LAP1 shows Network Connections Available, however, when attempting to connect to the Router relevant, which also has the highest signal strength, comes back with the following response.

“Windows cannot connect to RTA1025W-XXXXX’

I have three options once receiving this error message;
 Diagnose the problem.
o The main message of relevance when clicking on this is: “The Wireless authentication settings on this computer do not match the requirements of this network”
o “View the wireless security settings on this computer to verity they are compatible with this network.”

 Connect to a different network or
 Close the dialogue box.

Troubleshooting
So far, after various articles read and hands on attempts at getting this working, I have determined that;
• The network card for LAP1 must be working in order to pick up any kind of signal strength and to know there is my network amongst others available to connect to.

• The Router is Wireless G compliant, and is also working, as it is helping me post this message on LAP2. So, no problems with This Router & XP on LAP2.

• The LAP1 Network Care (Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN) is also Wireless G compliant. I'm guessing because it says 'G' in the 'AGN' part?

o Drivers are up to date – as at 08/07/08.
o Driver version 12.0.0.82

I’m keen to get feedback from those who may know of any solution to this issue

Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
VEERXX

Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

This may be an issue with Vista and older router versions. Have you tried a wired connection to see if you can connect that way?

Some things you can try here.
  1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve your issues.

Vista also has some compatibility issues with some networking equipment, here are some fixes.

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
  1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter regedit and press Enter.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
  3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
  4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
  5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
  6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
  7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  8. Close Registry Editor.
NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.
NOTE2: (GUID) is a mnemonic for the individual subkeys, the actual text "GUID" does not appaer.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote