Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

very strange: can connect to wireless router, access internet, but systray icon is X

This is a discussion on very strange: can connect to wireless router, access internet, but systray icon is X within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Router: WRT54G ver. 1.1 Firmware: 4.21.1 So I can connect to the router fine (well, only when there is no

Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Router: WRT54G ver. 1.1
Firmware: 4.21.1

So I can connect to the router fine (well, only when there is no access security enabled. With WEP I am not able to connect to the router at all).

When connected with the router with no security I can get on the internet fine (I'm actually posting this from the wireless connection). But the systray icon lists me as disconnected with the red X. When I view wireless connection the SSID is displayed but is labeled as Automatic and when highlighted there is a button to choose to connect to the router. If I click it to connect it asks me if I'm sure I want to disconnect. Very strange indeed.

I actually just got a popup while typing this that says "Unable to connect to preferred wireless network". I'm not sure if I'm actually still connected now so if this posts I suppose I am.
Okay it didn't post so it effectively quit on me. I tried reconnecting, wouldn't connect. I disabled and reenabled my wireless connection and tried to connect to the router and it asked me if I wanted to disconnect so it's doing same thing as before only this time when I reenabled the connection it automatically connected me though it still lists as disconnected.

I have no clue what in the world is going on!!

Oh, one thing. I did recently move to another apartment not too far from my last one. Router was working fine at old place. I am using same internet service provider, same cable modem, just different apartment. Not sure how or why this would have an effect.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Update: Okay, now I cannot connect to the internet through it at all. Not even when I hardwire to the router. Is it safe to assume the router is f#$@ed? This is probably the most irritating computer problem I've tried to deal with. I just don't want to buy a new router only to have the same problems.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Connect directly to your modem and see if you can get a connection.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
Registered Member

I agree with Lorjack, try a direct modem connection. Also, make sure you power cycle the modem after you connect your laptop to the modem or you still won't get internet whether it was working correctly or not- this is to refresh the MAC address the modem has associated with your router to match your laptop instead.

1. Turn off the modem
2. Plug in your ethernet from modem to laptop.
3. Turn on Modem.
4. Turn on Laptop.

See if you can get on the internet now.

Hope this helps some!

Respectfully,

~Zach
Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Oh, the internet connection is fine. It's just the router I'm having issues with. I can connect to internet through router briefly though I lose the connection after 5 minutes and have to disable/enable wireless adaptor, then it works for another 5 minutes. But it never shows that I'm actually connected to the router even though I'm able to access the internet wirelessly. Like I said, the internet works, but the wireless systray icon shows a red X as if there is no connection.

edit: just to be clear, I can access internet fine with no interruption if I connect directly to modem
Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.
  1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote