Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Verizon Fios and Belkin Router

This is a discussion on Verizon Fios and Belkin Router within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I switched to Verizon Fios about a month ago and realized that the modem that they give you is

Old 07-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I switched to Verizon Fios about a month ago and realized that the modem that they give you is a piece of crap which is a Actiontec Modem/router. I plugged my belkin wan to actiontec lan then vice versa. It worked fine until i tried to setup a password and ended up resetting the belkin router. I am now not able to connect to the internet via the router. i then did some research and put my networking settings on the computer to run it off of PPPOE and it started working blazing fast then shortly cut off and haven't been able to get my belkin router fixed. If there is anyone out there that can help me solve this problem I am willing to offer money. I am just so frustrated at this point.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

First off, reset the Belkin router to factory defaults.

Next, configure the Belkin router for a static WAN address outside the range of the Actiontec DHCP address pool, but in the same subnet. I use 192.168.1.253 on my Actiontec for the DMZ host and use the same address on the attached router, in my case I have a ZyXEL NBG-415N as the secondary router.

Finally, go into the Actiontec MI424WR and configure the connection to the Belkin to be in the DMZ of the Actiontec using the static WAN address. Normally, the Belkin is at 192.168.2.x for it's LAN subnet, which will work fine. If it happens to be at 192.168.1.x on the LAN side, you'll have to change that subnet to something other than 192.168.1.x to avoid a WAN/LAN subnet issue.

If you only have FiOS Internet, you can dispense with the Actiontec router and use your Belkin connected directly to the ONT. If you have the TV service as well, the Actiontec supplies the program guide and on-demand functions, so that isn't an option.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello Johnwill,

I just got FIOS this past weekend and I have a similar setup with the same Actiontec and a Linksys WRT54G and was wondering if you can point out any possible conflicts/performance issues or security vulnerabilities?

On my Actiontec, I’ve disabled DHCP and wireless. On my Linksys, I have it receive a static of 192.168.1.2 from the Actiontec. I’ve left the Action firewall on Medium and the firewall is on--on the linksys; I guess I sort of have double protection? I did not configure the Actiontec to use DMZ like you mentioned above. Do you recommend I do? Or is what I have more or less the same?

As far as performance, I am getting 10.4 down and 1.8 up (wireless and wired).

Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

If you want to port forward, you'll have two NAT layers to contend with unless you use the DMZ setting on the Actiontec, which is why I use it.

I bought the faster service, and I get 15.5mbit and 11mbit down/up here. They're both rated at 15mbit, not sure why I've never achieved the full uplink bandwidth, but it's plenty fast.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote